The Client Value Manager is expected to serve as a positive role model and mentor, and to perform all responsibilities with a commitment to providing superior service to the firm’s attorneys, advisors and staff, efficient and effective departmental operations, and an atmosphere of teamwork and continuous improvement. Above all, the Client Value Manager must fulfill the needs of the firm in a manner which is consistent with the firm’s Core Values.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (Duties are performed throughout every work day, as necessary):
- Work with attorneys to develop pricing strategies that take into account firm/attorney needs and objectives, practice group/team or firm goals and key performance indicators, as well as client requirements.
- Ensure pricing is aligned to client values/needs.
- Regularly interact with firmwide attorneys and serve as a sounding board and resource, offering credible, thoughtful advice on client-related strategic pricing efforts; and be available to support and facilitate procurement negotiations.
- Work closely with Business Development in the preparation and/or review of RFPs/business development proposals relating specifically to strategic pricing, alternative fees, and budgetary fee estimates.
- Track and maintain pertinent information relating to all pricing and budgeting efforts and offerings across the firm.
- Build reports and analysis to study ongoing profitability of engagements, particularly focused on the success or failure of initial pricing strategies in producing profitable outcomes.
- Participate in the review of Outside Counsel Guidelines for pricing or project management guidelines impacting the practice groups.
Practice Group Analytics
- Gain a thorough and deep understanding of the practice group’s financial drivers.
- Coordinate with Practice Managers and Business Development on execution of practice level strategy by providing timely analysis in support of group efforts.
- Work closely with the Director to proactively analyze practice group financial performance along key financial data points and KPIs, focused especially on revenue generation and profitability.
- Report to all key stakeholders on financial performance to identify trends and insights that focus on ways to improve performance.
- Develop and produce ad-hoc and standardized financial and performance reports on practice/client/matter levels to provide additional clarity and enhance transparency for Practice Group Leaders.
- Assist practice group with setting rates, forecasting revenue and profit margin growth based on reporting at practice/client/matter levels.
- For identified clients/matters with existing KPIs and action items/plans, review and revise (if and/as needed) to best meet shifting client/firm priorities or mandates.
- Work closely with the Director and other Finance professionals to create customized financial client performance reports to allow for internal monitoring and analysis.
- Assist in design and development of standardized and customized client-facing reports.
- Work with other firm infrastructure, such as the Director of Billing, to ensure data integrity on client/matter level and in accordance with firm mandates socialize the importance of proper billing issues as needed to ensure consistency, accuracy and compliance with client needs and outside counsel guidelines.
OTHER ESSENTIAL DUTIES (Duties are performed periodically, as necessary):
- Leverage matter planning, process improvement, and strategic matter management support utilizing project management methodologies, phase and task codes, past matter experience, and client-specific requirements.
- Assist with the training and coaching of firmwide attorneys on firm and practice group KPIs and financial concepts, including but not necessarily limited to: profitability, revenue, utilization, etc.
- Provide the Director, Practice Group Leaders and attorneys with relevant legal market and competitor information and analysis as needed or requested to aid in the achievement of strategic objectives and goals.
- Help calculate and communicate the firm’s cost structure and net margin analysis.
- Collaborate and work with the Client Value Team and other infrastructure teams in the performance of special projects as assigned.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- High proficiency in Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint and the ability to quickly learn and utilize additional software and systems
- Understanding of financial management and business drivers, and ability to think strategically and analytically (issue-spot)
- Knowledge of transactional practices preferred
- Knowledge of firm and industry business acumen; apply sound judgment and discretion with respect to confidential and sensitive information
- Strong ability to communicate persuasively, both orally and in writing (visual presentations and reports, etc.)
- Strong to work independently and with teams, creatively and proactively
- Demonstrated ability to make presentations to small and/or large groups in an effective manner as needed
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to deal effectively with all levels of personnel and work collaboratively across all firm departments
- Proven organizational skills; ability to execute identified initiatives and processes in a timely manner
EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS/JOB EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- BA or BS required
- 5+ years in a client service oriented functions