The Clinical Application Developer is a technical position requiring skills to develop minor applications, interfaces and process automation to meet business needs. The job requires the ability to write code in a variety of programming and scripting languages using the best tool for the job.
The primary responsibilities of the job may include:
Writing scripts to extract data from databases and flat files, converting data into other file formats (ex: Text, RTF, TIFF to PDF). Extraction may require the ability to analyze and reverse engineer database structures from source databases that are no longer documented/supported.
Building reports which combine data from multiple discrete SQL, Flat File, XML, JSON or API based data sources
Automate manual tasks and process using tools such as screen scraping and API interfaces.
The Ideal Candidate
- Experience - Database design/extraction, Scripting or Light Weight Utility Development, Supporting, Implementing or Administering Enterprise Infrastructure Elements.
- Familiar designing and building ETL processes and ingesting data from multiple sources and formats using SSIS
- Significant and successful experience in designing, implementing and supporting various healthcare related solutions.
- Knowledge of healthcare data exchange and interoperability protocols including HL7, FHIR, REST API, DICOM, Direct Messaging and related data interchange formats.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to multi-task and manage several independent projects at the same time.
- Experience with Web development frameworks (ex: Angular) and single page web applications is preferred
- Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Participate in the development of technical road maps, designs, and testing plans for the introduction of new and existing end-user technology
- Understand client requirements and how they translate in application features
- Collaborate with a team of IT professionals to set specifications for new applications
- Design creative prototypes according to specifications
- Write high quality source code to program complete applications within deadlines
- Perform unit and integration testing before launch
- Conduct functional and non-functional testing
- Troubleshoot and debug applications
- Evaluate existing applications to enhance, update and add new features
- Develop technical and end-user documentation and handbooks to accurately represent application design and code
- Consult with customers about software system design and maintenance.
- Provide technical support for software maintenance or use.
- Coordinate software system installation and monitor equipment functioning to ensure specifications are met.
- Monitor computer system performance to ensure proper operation.
- Obtain and evaluate information on factors such as reporting formats required, costs, and security needs to determine hardware/software configuration.
- Analyze project data to determine specifications or requirements.
- Develop performance metrics or standards related to information technology
- Analyze information to determine, recommend, and plan computer specifications and layouts, and peripheral equipment modifications.
- Manage the scope, cost, schedule, quality, and success of clinical applications
- Participate in the implementation of off-the-shelf and custom clinical application projects
- Vet enhancement requests and identify change implications
- Troubleshoot, design, build, and test clinical applications
- Work to resolve tickets related to clinical applications
- Work with Clinical leadership in EHR management and support of applications
- Ensure functionality in new releases is properly analyzed and tested to consider for implementation, and approve new functionality for implementation
- Oversee execution of application updates and changes including the change management processes
- Identify, document, research, and resolution of application issues
- Ensure collaboration with the training team and coordination of training activities
- Ensure that data interfacing into and out of EHR and other applications meets business needs
- Provide support activities during go-lives and system upgrades
- Ensure open lines of communication among all teams and users
- Participates in preparation and facilitating enterprise Change Management Activities
- Possesses ability to work in rapidly changing environment and desire to learn technologies as needed.
- Team player required: must be able to interact with peers, management, and executives in a constantly evolving environment to ensure a positive customer experience and any identified risks
This Job does not require supervisory responsibility
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education, Experience and /or demonstrated proficiency in:
Associates Degree in a related field or equivalent experience.
2 years in Healthcare IT preferred
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of EMR software; Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet software and Microsoft Word Processing software.
Physical Demands The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate depending on business activity of the office.