Join UChicago Medicine as a Hospital Inpatient Coder for the Health Information Management department!
Note: Our Registry staff are expected to work 10 hours per week.
In this role, under the general direction of management, the Clinical Data Analyst is responsible for coding and abstracting diagnoses and procedures from inpatient and outpatient medical records for optimal and timely reimbursement and quality reporting.
Essential Job Functions
Responsible for coding and abstracting diagnoses and procedures from inpatient and outpatient medical records for optimal and timely reimbursement and quality reporting
- An Associate's or Bachelor's degree from an accredited academic body
- Skill in prioritizing and performing a variety of duties within a system that has frequently changing assignments, priorities and deadlines
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to impart knowledge of procedures and techniques
- A thorough working knowledge of ICD-10CM/PCS and CPT coding systems, DRG systems and federal/state regulations regarding reimbursement
- A thorough working knowledge of the hospital information system, electronic medical record systems and encoder
- A working knowledge of JCAHO standards for chart completion
- A working knowledge of medical-legal rules and regulations that govern the confidentiality and release of medical information with the ability to interpret and implement the standards
- Ability to maintain total confidentiality of all patient records
- Computer experience
- Job Type/FTE: PRN .25 FTE
- Shift: Day shift
- Unit/Department: Medical Records Admin
- CBA Code: Non-Union
We’ve been at the forefront of medicine since 1899. We provide superior healthcare with compassion, always mindful that each patient is a person, an individual. To accomplish this, we need employees with passion, talent and commitment… with patients and with each other. We’re in this together: working to advance medical innovation, serve the health needs of the community, and move our collective knowledge forward. If you’d like to add enriching human life to your profile, The University of Chicago Medicine is for you. Here at the forefront, we’re doing work that really matters. Join us. Bring your passion.
Bring your career to the next level at a hospital that is thriving; from patient satisfaction to employee engagement, we are at the Forefront of Medicine. Take advantage of all we have to offer and #BringYourPassiontotheForefront.
University of Chicago Medicine is growing; discover how you can be a part of this pursuit of excellence at: www.uchospitals.edu/jobs
The University of Chicago Medical Center is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, civil union status, parental status, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status and other legally protected characteristics.