The Clinical Data Entry Specialist (Accessioner) is responsible for support and customer service of the toxicology laboratory department. This will include pre-analytical, analytical and post-analytical duties as described in the following section for this facility. Established protocols and procedures of this facility must be followed to ensure quality patient results.
Essential Job Functions
- Data Entry experience with insurance verification required
- Read procedures fully before performing any tasks. Required training must be completed before attempting any procedure or protocol.
- Ensure the confidentiality of all patient information throughout all phases of laboratory testing. The privacy of each patient must be maintained by preventing all confidential information from being seen or heard by unauthorized persons, including other patients, visitors to the facility and any unauthorized party outside this facility.
- Ensure that all orders received by physicians are documented.
- Responsible for the receipt and dispersion of accessioned specimens collected by others (patient, physician, nurse): Ensure the specimens are fully labeled, are collected in the proper containers and are of adequate amount to perform testing. Each of these specimens must be matched to a requisition that is reviewed for all the required information according to laboratory policy.
- Perform limited lab support in a manner technically appropriate, according to department approved policy and procedures.
- Use a customer service focused approach with internal and external customers working to resolve issues. (IE. missing info, rejections, and customer service.)
- Responsible for maintaining cleanliness and tidiness of the lab.
- Responsible for unpacking and proper labeling of received dates on supplies and proper inventory practice using first in first out inventory management.
- High School degree or GED
- One-year laboratory or customer service experience preferred.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Must have typing skills up to 40 wpm with 95% accuracy.