The Clinical Education Specialist will be supporting our Operating Room Service Line and is accountable for the assessment, development, implementation and evaluation of education related to orientation, mandatory/required education, continuing education and professional development within a specialty area, site or organizational framework. The individual incorporates existing and new practice, quality, safety and regulatory standards into education that aligns with the organization/unit culture and goals.
About this position:
- This position will be working 64 hours every two weeks and is benefit eligible.
- This position has a main location of Southdale in Edina, but does support multiple Fairview sites and occasionally will travel to other Fairview hospitals when needed.
- Assesses, plans, implements and evaluates competency based orientation and education programs for new staff.
- Provides didactic, experiential and skills based orientation for the specialty.
- Reviews and revises competency validation tools in collaboration with advanced practice and operational leaders.
- Follows up with new staff to evaluate competency progression and organizational assimilation.
- Partners with leaders to develop individualized learning plans for new staff who need additional assistance to successfully complete orientation.
- Performs needs assessments and gap analyses to ascertain needs for ongoing education and competency validation.
- Distributes needs survey to staff, obtains data and does analysis at least annually.
- Participates in unit/department/specialty improvement work, including data collection, in relation to educational needs.
- Provides recommendations on educational needs.
- Develops annual plan for ongoing competency validation and education.
- Collaborates with leaders to acquire and analyze data to develop a plan for competency validation of unit/department/specialty staff.
- Plans and implements competency validation program.
- Develops plan in collaboration with leaders for mandatory, required, continuing and professional development educational offerings.
- Partners with organizational team to publish and disseminate education calendar.
- Ensures that regulatory requirements related to education and competency are met.
- Develops and implements education.
- Utilizes adult learning principles and a creative, innovative approach to education to engage learners.
- Considers factors related to safety, effectiveness, and cost in planning and delivering educational activities.
- Collaborates with content experts (e.g. Advanced Practice Nurse Leaders [APNL] and Professional Practice Lead [PPL]) to develop evidence based content.
- Initiates, develops, implements and evaluates educational offerings for mandatory and continuing education.
- Develops and oversees inservices on new products, policies, procedures and equipment.
- Partners with Learning Management System (LMS) team to develop content, product and assignment list.
- Facilitates tracking and reporting of competencies and education.
- Obtains and disseminates reports to leaders for education/competency completion.
- Assists leaders in tracking and reporting completion of mandatory/required education/competencies.
- Ensures that educational records of staff contains essential regulatory information.
- Assists with regulatory body surveys/reviews/visits.
- Promotes professional practice development.
- Maintains certification in the specialty.
- Participates in formalized preceptor development program through teaching, mentoring and coaching.
- Supports certification review for the specialty.
- Assist APNL and operations leaders in shared governance work.
- Bachelor degree in Nursing
- 3 or more years of nursing experience
- Current MN RN License
- BLS certification
- Certification in area of specialty within one year of hire.
- Master Degree in Nursing
- Doctor of Nursing Practice or Doctor of Philosophy in Nursing or Doctor of Nursing Science
- 6 or more years Nursing experience
- Nurse Educator Certification (NEC)