Providence is calling a Clinical Laboratory Scientist (Full time/Variable shift) to Providence Little Company Of Mary Torrance Hospital in Torrance, California.
We are seeking a Clinical Laboratory Scientist who will be responsible for specimen processing, test performance, test result reporting, and clerical and patient care support services. The CLS will provide service in one or more sections of the laboratory with a high level of accuracy, precision and timeliness and ensures compliance with departmental and regulatory agency standards. Service is provided to patients of all age groups: premature infants, infants, pediatrics, adolescents, young, middle and older adults. Non-technical duties include taking supply inventories, stocking supplies, cleaning and maintaining work area, equipment and instrumentation. The CLS will provide service in a safe and professional manner and works within the established policies and procedures of the Laboratory and the Organization.
In this position you will have the following responsibilities:
- Comply with all policy, procedure and personnel guidelines as outlined in the hospital and departmental, administrative and personnel policy manuals. Demonstrate a working knowledge of the specific policies and procedures that relate to the duties of the CLS position by consistently operating within the context of these requirements. Perform only those duties for which training and orientation has been documented and approval granted (initially and ongoing). Seek additional training and orientation as appropriate to assigned duties or needs of the department
- Comply with the organizational and departmental specific requirements for infection control, hazardous material and safety. Report identified unsafe conditions immediately to a supervisor or to an appropriate department. Take corrective actions whenever such actions are appropriate and within the individual’s ability. Comply with the principles and guidelines outlined in the Integrity Guide Employee Handbook and other departmental materials related to compliance with laws and regulatory requirements
- Prioritize all duties and adhere to established turn around times for routine, urgent, STAT, timed and batched procedures for all duties assigned
- Assist with venipuncture and skin puncture procedures for the purpose of blood specimen collection appropriate to the age and condition of the patient adhering to established procedure and protocol (Population: (Neonate 0-1mo.); Pediatric (2mo-12yr.); Adolescent (13-17yr.); Adult (18-65yr.) Geriatric (66 plus yr.). Maintain proper identification and integrity of the specimen Transport the specimen to the laboratory and receive the specimen following information system requirements
- Process specimens by performing centrifugation, separation and aliquoting procedures. Distribute specimens to the appropriate laboratory section Resolve ordering and labeling discrepancies prior to specimen processing. Document, when appropriate, specimen condition and applies specimen rejection criteria as appropriate
- Prepare specimens for referral to other laboratories following established procedures using both automated (i.e., Sendout Workstation) and manual procedures ensuring the accuracy of information and integrity of the specimen
- Operate automated laboratory instrumentation for all aspects of specimen testing. Perform maintenance, quality control and other assigned duties on instrumentation as required
- Follow established quality control and corrective action policies and procedures whenever test systems are not within acceptable levels of performance. Documents all quality control and corrective actions taken following established policy. Maintain laboratory supplies and reagents for assigned department or as requested. Include taking inventories, filling out purchase requisitions, receiving supplies, stocking benches, rotating stock, and documenting activities. Perform other duties as assigned within the scope, training and certification of the CLS position
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of the hospital and laboratory information systems by performing responsible functions on these systems timely and accurately
- Perform clerical duties as assigned including but not limited to greeting and assisting patients and visitors to the laboratory; filing, printing, faxing and delivering reports; making, answering and transferring telephone calls. Perform these duties according to established policy and under the guidelines set forth in the organizations customer service programs