The Hospital-Based Clinical Liaison serves as the primary with patient referral sources and, in many cases, is the initial point of contact for potential admissions to the skilled nursing facility (SNF) or extended care facility (ECF). The Hospital-Based Clinical Liaison is responsible for: assisting referral sources in identifying and assessing patients with care needs that match the services provided by the SNF or ECF; educating the potential patient and family regarding the SNFs’ services, admissions process, and treatment process; and communicating with appropriate SNF or ECF staff to ensure appropriate admission of new patients.
- A Registered or Licensed Practical Nurse in good standing, currently licensed by state in which the services are provided is preferred. A Bachelor’s Degree in healthcare-related field, business, or marketing, with evidence of advanced training is also acceptable.
- A minimum of two (2) years of general nursing or healthcare experience is required, ideally with at least one (1) year in a SNF or ECF.
- Valid driver’s license and access to reliable transportation is required.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to relate professionally and positively to referral sources, physicians, patients and patient families, and other team members and consultants at all levels.
- Must have excellent patient assessment skills.'
- Must meet all state and local health regulations and pass post-employment physical examination, if required.
- Must be capable of performing the essential job functions of this job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Must demonstrate a work history of being a self-starter, working independently with minimum daily direction, and self-motivation with goal-directed sales skills.
Indoors 100%, except for travel between the referring providers.
Self-paced, requiring the ability to work quickly in an often-times fast paced, demanding work area.
- Educate/sell patients, families, and referral sources on SNF or ECF programs, services and amenities provided at centers to secure admission.
- Receive referral inquiries from healthcare facilities (e.g. acute hospitals, LTACHs, intermediate rehabilitation facilities (IRFs), healthcare providers (e.g. physicians), or any customer source.
- Provide on-site clinical assessment & clinical chart review on each patient referral. Assessments will determine if the patient's needs appropriately match services provided by the SNF or ECF and will allow the SNF or ECF to properly plan for a successful admission process.
- Make an admission decision on behalf of the SNF or ECF, utilizing the most current green-yellow-red clinical capabilities grid approved by the corporate clinical services team.
- Meet with patients and families or Responsible Parties to discuss the transfer process, anticipated treatment, expected outcome and financial implications.
- Determine the special needs of patients (e.g. durable medical equipment, medications, staff) and help create cost-effective solutions.
- Communicate transfer, admission, clinical and financial information regarding prospective patient to appropriate SNF or ECF staff members. Ensure that the SNF or ECF is prepared for admission of such patients.
- Obtain necessary information (medical and financial) for completion of the initial MDS.
- Facilitate patient placement based on clinical services needed, bed availability, patient/family preference, geographic location, etc. Possess a strong knowledge of the company-supported SNFs or ECFs and their respective service lines.
- Assist SNF or ECF staff with the completion of pre-admission paperwork (e.g. PASSAR) and physician follow-up
- Manage the SNF or ECF’s relationship with referral sources within referring providers. The position is the primary source for information regarding current services and liaison with referral sources.
- Conduct regular visits to referring providers to build and maintain relationships with discharge planners, case managers, social workers, physicians and others to ensure that the referring provider is aware of SNF or ECF services and that the SNF or ECF is responding promptly to referring provider inquiries.
- Develop & maintain strong relationships with key hospital referral sources and their personnel, and identify new opportunities for partnering and growth
- Assists in planning and executing educational offerings for hospital staff related to the care of patients.
- Interfaces with corporate-based, facility-based, & hospital-based utilization review (UR) staff to facilitate timely and appropriate transfer of hospitalized patients to SNF or ECF and appropriate use of resources.
- Completes weekly reports including but not limited to hospital updates, barriers to SNF or ECF admission, and referral/admission numbers. Submits log to supervisor, VP of Sales & Marketing, and SVP of Business Development weekly and as needed.
- Maintains a running log or repository of completed hospital assessments including but not limited to conversion ratio (referrals versus admissions). Submits log to supervisor, VP of Sales & Marketing, and SVP of Business Development monthly and as needed.
- Understand confidentiality and HIPAA guidelines.
- Assists other team members when necessary.