Proudly serving the residents of Pittsburgh’s western suburbs for more than 100 years.
Today, it is Ohio Valley Hospital’s mission to provide programs and services that improve the quality of life of community members across our service area. Our staff and administration strive to provide caring, cost-effective, and friendly health care. We view safety and quality as top priorities — while also encouraging innovative and creative approaches to improving patient outcomes.
Great career opportunities are waiting for you at Ohio Valley Hospital.
Our mission of quality, personalized health care for every patient is not the only outstanding benefit we bring to our community. There are lots of great jobs here too. Challenging, important work. Rewarding careers for those willing to dedicate themselves to providing health care and other crucial assistance to our patients.
The Clinical Manager supports the Director of Surgical Services and Anesthesia Division in the management of clinical nursing practices and patient care delivery, the management of resources, the development of personnel, maintaining compliance with professional and regulatory standards, strategic planning, and the fostering of collaborative interdisciplinary relationships with units within the Hospital. The Clinical Manager, in collaboration with the Divisional Director, shares the 24 hour accountability of perioperative and central services.
Essential Job Functions
- Strives to incorporate the philosophy, mission, vision, and values of Ohio Valley General Hospital when interacting with others.
- Provides leadership, teaching, and supervision to OPSU/ENDO/PACU staff to assure appropriate standards of patient care is delivered.
- Effectively communicates with staff, hospital departments, and other healthcare providers verbally and through documentation to assure that the patient care outcomes are clearly understood.
- Plan, implement, coordinate, and direct services and activities within the OPSU/ENDO/PACU departments to assure positive outcomes of departmental goals and objectives.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures in accordance with local, state, federal, and other regulatory agencies standards and guidelines.
- Develop, implement, and maintain processes to evaluate cost, charges, and reimbursement to determine financial liability of procedures performed in the OR while maintaining the operational and capital budgets of the departments.
- Maintains professional and technical competence in order to provide professional nursing care consistent with accepted standards of practice.
- Develop and implement an ongoing process to assure staff competency.
- Assists the Director of Surgical Services and Anesthesia Division with the administrative function of the department.
Additional Job Responsibilities
- Direct the selection, training, and evaluation of staff members including interviewing and hiring qualified candidates pursuant to written job descriptions.
- Serve as a role model for staff by assisting in teaching activities, peer review, sharing knowledge and expertise, and dealing effectively with others.
- Counsel employees regarding practice issues, compliance, behavior, and attendance issues. Institute, interpret, and document disciplinary action according to policy and procedure.
- Complete effective performance appraisals in a timely manner and according to hospital policy.
- In collaboration with the Clinical Manager of OR, develop and implement an ongoing competency assessment plan to assure staff competency.
- Develop and implement written policies and procedures that reflect AORN, JACHO, and Department of Health standards and guidelines.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate the budget plan and cost control policies and procedures.
- Monitor and evaluate inventory levels and recommend changes as identified.
- Participate in the ongoing evaluation of the cost effectiveness of procedures performed in the OPSU/ENDO/PACU. Reconcile daily patient charges for accuracy.
- Ensure that billing practices within the department are current, consistent with OVGH, federal, state, and local rules and regulations. Reconcile daily patient charges for accuracy, compliance, and timeliness.
- Ensure infection control and safety policies are implemented and followed.
- Participate in departmental and hospital committees as necessary.
- Revise, implement, and maintain logs to meet with current AORN, JACHO, and PA Department of Health standards and guidelines.
- Work collaboratively with the Director of Surgical Services and Anesthesia Division and the Clinical Manager of OR to monitor block utilization and revise as necessary.
- Develop effective working relationships with the other managers within Surgical Services to provide the most efficient and cost effective plan for the delivery of services.
- Coordinate activities to improve scheduling, block utilization, and staff utilization to provide more efficient and cost effective delivery of services
- Adheres to all hospital and departmental policies and procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education, Certification, Licensure
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Graduate of an accredited nursing program required.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing or related field preferred.
- Current license to practice professional nursing in the state of Pennsylvania required.
- Current CPR certification required.
- ACLS and PALS certification or completion within 6 months required.
Work Related Experience
- One (1) to three (3) years progressively responsible management in healthcare demonstrating leadership expertise.
- Three (3) to five (5) years current perioperative nursing experience.