Medical malpractice liability insurance is not required for federal civilian healthcare providers as they are covered by the Federal Tort Claims Act (28 U.S.C. § 1346(b)) while acting within the scope of their employment.
This position is located at the Reynolds Army Community Hospital in Fort Sill, OK.
The city of Lawton is located in southwestern Oklahoma, about 87 miles southwest of Oklahoma City. Recreation can be found at the many parks, lakes, museums, and festivals. Lawton is the fifth largest city in Oklahoma and surrounded by a national treasure, the Wichita Wildlife Refuge. For those desiring a big city atmosphere, Oklahoma City is only 70 minutes from Ft Sill and Dallas/Ft Worth is only three hours away.
Who May Apply: US Citizens
Incumbent performs full range of advanced practice nursing care for treating beneficiaries (children, adolescents, and adults) requesting behavioral health services. The services may be performed on site at the clinic by qualified individuals or by referral to an appropriate network provider. The position requires an individual who can utilize all the skills of an advanced practice nurse to provide comprehensive care in a busy clinic. The incumbent will evaluate new patients, gather histories, discuss goals with patients, and implement mutually agreed upon solutions. The advanced practice nurse will prescribe medications, educate patients about risks and benefits, probe for side effects, and monitor progress, always striving to meet the patients' needs. This position functions at an expanded level of responsibility by combining services of the professional nurse and the physician within the framework of mutually established medical guidelines. This position is involved in primary care which is the care of patients at the point of contact with the health care service or the continued care of ambulatory patients.
1. Performs psychiatric intakes and evaluations, and prescribes medications. Incumbent works closely with other members of the total treatment team in the formulation of the total care plan for patients. Provides comprehensive nursing care for any type of psychiatric patient. Observes patients closely, evaluating and recording any significant behavior and reaction patterns. Screens for and addresses side effects or other medication problems, monitors efficacy, responding as needed.
2. Meets or exceeds quality care standards, achieves clinical excellence, contributes to quality improvement, and strives for high patient satisfaction. Incumbent participates actively in the quality improvement system, to comply with all appropriate Joint Commission standards and National Patient Safety goals, and other quality improvement projects.
3. Maintains appropriate records using a computerized record keeping and coding system.
4. Works closely with primary care and other providers in accepting referrals, providing feedback, and sending referrals as needed.
5. Provides feedback and advice to unit commanders and other leaders regarding the well-being of their soldiers.
6. Presents patient cases and classes for patient care conferences and academic institutions. Serves in a leadership position and is recognized as a consultant and role model to other health care professionals both within, and outside, the institution. Acts as a preceptor to graduate students enrolled in psychiatric nurse practitioner programs. Develops and/or conducts in-service education programs for other health care professionals. Serves as advisor/member of committees as needed.
PERFORMS OTHER DUTIES AS NEEDED.
BASIC QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
Education: Applicants MUST be a graduate of an accredited master's level or doctoral program acceptable to Department of Army that prepares Registered Nurses with additional knowledge and skills to practice as a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner.
Registration/Licensure: Applicants MUST maintain a current, active, valid, unrestricted Registered Nurse license in at least one U.S. State, District of Columbia, Commonwealth, territory, or jurisdiction.
Certification: The Advanced Practice Registered Nurse will achieve certification by a nationally recognized certifying body appropriate to the specialty area of practice. Certification will be maintained for the duration of the individuals advanced clinical practice.
Specialized Experience: For GS-13: To qualify, applicants must possess at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower level. Specialized experience at the next lower grade level is defined as: performing routine and comprehensive physical examinations, reviewing medical histories, evaluating behavior and reaction patterns, and techniques used in the care and treatment of psychiatric patients. The experience described in your resume will be evaluated and screened for the Office of Personnel Management's basic qualifications requirements, and the skills needed to perform the duties of this position as described in this vacancy announcement.
Personnel security investigation required.
A medical examination is required.
Immunization screening is required.
Must comply with Drug Abuse Testing Program requirements.
The Department of the Army provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the servicing civilian personnel unit. Requests for reasonable accommodation are made on a case-by-case basis.
This position has a mandatory seasonal influenza vaccination requirement and is therefore subject to annual seasonal influenza vaccinations. Applicants tentatively selected for appointment to this position will be required to sign a statement (Condition of Employment) consenting to seasonal influenza vaccinations.
Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
Applicants claiming veteran's preference must clearly show an entitlement to such preference on the resume/supplemental data submitted.
Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid experience or volunteer work. Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in the vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
One year trial/probationary period may be required.