GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Reporting to the Chief of Medicine or Medical Staff Physician, the Clinical Nurse Specialist utilizes the medical model to meet a variety of health care needs. The Clinical Nurse Specialist works with a variety of professionals in a mental health inpatient environment and provides basic medical services supervised by a licensed physician.
- Provide direct patient care including psychiatric assessment, diagnosis, treatment, and follow- up care of adult patients on assigned units under the supervision of the collaborating psychiatrist.
- Develop and lead patient psycho-educational groups. Provide education and consultation to unit nursing staff regarding current evidence-based practices in psychiatric nursing, person-centered care and recovery
- Prescribe appropriate psychiatric/medical medications
- Provide on-going medication monitoring for efficacy and side effects from psychiatric medications performing AIMS testing as required by facility protocol
- Assess patient's capacity for making informed treatment decisions
- Provide education and consultation to nursing staff regarding evidence-based practices that enhance patient-center care and the recovery process.
- Work collaborative with community care clinicians to assess patients' needs, provide continuity of care as patients prepare for transition and discharge into the community, and develop appropriate discharge aftercare plans.
- Participate fully in all site-based performance improvement activities in accordance with job responsibilities
- Perform or schedule laboratory and diagnostic procedures to determine health status as assigned by the physician
- Obtain histories and perform physical examinations to determine normal and abnormal adult health status
- Communicate findings in a comprehensive and organized fashion verbally and in writing
- Identify patient health problems and prescribes treatment based on diagnosis
- Make appropriate, timely referrals and initiates treatments based on policies and procedures, and physician direction
- Document health problems and plan of care
- Implement medical care in a knowledgeable, safe and cost-effective manner, utilizing therapeutic regimens approved by the physician and in accordance with established regulations, policies, and procedures
- Evaluates and documents patient progress and response to medical interventions
- Make referrals as necessary to the physician or other health team members
- Work within the framework of a current written Collaborative Agreement with an assigned supervising physician
- Serve as a resource to other professionals or non-professional personnel providing instructions
- Perform other duties as required.
- MSN or Nurse Practitioner Certificate
- Hold a current Nurse Practitioner license in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- Must have or be able to obtain Federal DEA Registration
- Must have or be able to obtain Mass. Controlled Substance Certificate