Prepares or supervises the preparation and dispensing of medications within established policies, procedures and guidelines. Educate medical staff and other health care professionals on appropriate medication use with emphasis on pharmacology, pharmacokinetics and toxicities. Monitor patients for efficacies and toxicities of drug therapies.
- Participates in daily medical work rounds on day shift. Counsels physicians on drug therapies, specifically drug selection, dosing, administration, pharmacokinetics, pharmacology and toxicities. Charts recommendations on patient progress notes when appropriate.
- Provides drug information to nurses, patients and parents. Monitors drug efficacies, toxicities and patient outcomes through patient clinical status and appropriate laboratory data.
- Reviews and prioritizes physician orders. Ensures that medication orders are appropriate according to the patient’s clinical status, allergy, drug histories and concomitant drug therapies.
- Maintains patient profiles, clinical notes, and narcotics and investigational drug records.
- Compounds and dispenses pharmaceuticals. Checks unit-dose medication carts and IV admixtures for product, label and volume/ amount accuracy.
- Checks Pyxis Medstation® medication items and pharmacy stock requisition items prior to delivery to these areas.
- Follows all pharmacy controlled medication polices and procedures and completes inventory logs and other necessary documentation accurately and according to procedure.
- Takes admitting drug histories when necessary to clarify allergies and home medications.
- Assists in cardiopulmonary resuscitations. Participates in drug utilization evaluations.
- Works as a team with other members of the department. Supervises pharmacy technicians.
- Participates in training of new pharmacists and students and completes peer evaluations and evaluations of pharmacy employees.
- Adheres to all hospital, departmental and regulatory policies and procedures.
- Performs other tasks as necessary to deliver pharmacy services and support the day-to-day operations of the pharmacy.
- Performs job functions adhering to service principles with customer service focus of innovation, service excellence and teamwork to provide the highest quality care and service to our patients, families, co-workers and others.
- Rotate through various work areas of the pharmacy and work rotating shifts, weekends and holidays.
Education: Graduate from an American Council of Pharmaceutical Education accredited College of Pharmacy.
Job Related Experience: One year of hospital pharmacy experience preferred.
Licensure: Licensure or eligibility for licensure as a Registered Pharmacist in the State of Illinois.
- Makes independent decisions within the purview of professional practice.
- Is knowledgeable and current in all phases of pharmacy practice. Is familiar with medical and nursing practices and concepts of proper patient care.
- Practices good personal and human relation skills using tact, courtesy and firmness at all times.
- Develops good working relations with other hospital employees and creates a favorable image of Children’s Memorial Hospital in the eyes of patients, visitors and the general public.
- Must have data entry skills or ability to learn computer data entry.
- Must have good communication skills,
- Must be able to read, write and speak English.