Center City San Antonio is the backdrop for a vibrant anddiverse community of patients served by Metropolitan Methodist Hospital. Our354 bed hospital offers outstanding heart and cancer care, general surgery,neurosurgery, orthopedic surgery, obstetrics and gynecology services, inpatientand outpatient rehabilitation services, sleep disorder evaluation and thelargest emergency room in downtown San Antonio. Our Suzell Waller Women’spavilion, the only stand-alone facility in downtown San Antonio dedicated tothe health of women and their newborn babies, has earned an excellentreputation, one baby at a time.
Metropolitan Methodist Hospital has been recognized byModern Healthcare as a Best Place to Work in Healthcare and for the thirdconsecutive year as a Leader in LGBTHealthcare Equality by the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Foundation. Weare pleased to announce it is the first hospital in San Antonio to achievePathway to Excellence designation by the American Nurses Credentialing Center.We have also been nationally recognized by Leapfrog for our focus on safety andquality, receiving a Grade A Hospital Safety Score for 5 consecutive ratingperiods, as well as Leapfrog’s Top General Hospital award in 2017. For moreinformation, please visit our website at www.sahealth.com and selectMetropolitan Methodist Hospital under Locations.
- Consistently provides pharmaceutical care to patients of all age and population groups to ensure appropriate prescribing, route, method of administration, and length of therapy; includes review of allergy history on all patients and weight for weight-based dosing; Monitors for age appropriate response to drug therapy and for any adverse events from drug therapy. Exhibits competence in pharmacy clinical functions and accessing drug / patient information resources including lab values. Follows-through on all inappropriate drug regimens, including, documentation of key clinical pharmacy interventions, reporting of medication variances and overall improvements to the medication management system. Provides general and/or patient specific drug information as required to other health professionals in an expedient and professional manner.
- Performs computer order entry of medication orders and maintains the patient’s medication profile. Conducts therapy monitoring and other activities associated with the provision of pharmaceutical care including formulary auto-substitution. Contacts physicians concerning non-formulary drugs and completes documentation of non-formulary requests timely. Monitors all computer warnings, such as allergies, duplicate therapy, interactions, and dosing, for clinical significance and performs all follow-up actions as needed to include timely notification of physician and nurse.
- Provides continual guidance to technical staff as it applies to performance of pharmacy services. Supervises technical support personnel in drug preparation and distribution systems and participates in competency training for technical personnel. Performs accurate final dispensing check of all medication orders and completes required documentation. Informs supervisor or pharmacy manager of performance or discipline problems of technical staff.
- Complies with applicable federal and state law, pharmacy standards of practice and US Pharmacopeia guidelines for compounding of sterile preparations; complies with organizational policies and procedures as well as Joint Commission standards. Performs controlled substance documentation and distribution procedures accurately. Completes mandatory inventories and audits; may participate in the hospital’s annual inventory process.
- Performs decentralized direct support to assigned units within the facility including rounding with other members of the healthcare team when applicable. Participates in activities targeted by the department including Clinical Pharmacy Reports, Medication Utilization Evaluation (MUE), food/drug interaction monitoring, patient counseling, ADR monitoring, in-services for other health care providers, and collection of data for Performance Improvement indicators.
- Provides cross-coverage in pharmacy areas as required. Assists in times of short staffing or increased workload to ensure quality patient care.