Overview of Responsibilities (Describe a typical day, metrics/quota)
The Clinical Research Financial Analyst is an integral member of the Office of Clinical Research. Under the direction of the Clinical Research Billing Manager, the Clinical Research Financial Analyst will promote and facilitate a culture of financial compliance through development of research billing documentation in electronic systems, charge review, payment processing, and quality assurance activities for divisional clinical research studies in an effort to ensure institutional adherence with Federal, State, and Local Regulations and Guidelines. Activities include but are not limited to supporting research revenue cycle management through research billing review, processing payments, reviewing and preparing research billing documentation, and producing research financial reporting, as well as department projects and initiatives to support research billing compliance tasks as needed.
• Perform all research billing activities including, but not limited to: daily charge review, review of research budgets at initial IRB submission, billing issue resolution, reconciliation and payment of research accounts.
• Conduct research billing quality assurance activities, such as individual patient billing audits, study audits, device audits and validation of data and information contained within institutional systems (e.g., Epic, IRB system, clinical trial management system, etc.).
• Translate internal clinical trial budget and Medicare coverage analysis documentation into billing grid and billing protocol within the electronic medical record (Epic).
• Review data within divisional systems utilized for clinical research to ensure harmonization with a specific emphasis on EPIC and clinical trial management system(s).
• Assist in the development and design of training and resource materials related to research billing and financial management in collaboration with others in the office.
• Follow standard operating procedures and policies to ensure compliant research billing as mandated by regulatory agencies (FDA, OHRP, OIG, CMS).
• Provide on-going guidance and assistance to research investigators and staff.
• Ability to work as part of collaborative team as well as autonomously required
• Expertise in Microsoft Excel required
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills required
• Ability to manage multiple tasks and keep track of outstanding items, prioritize work based on supervisor feedback, and demonstrate flexibility in managing work assignments
• Strong investigative and problem solving skills and attention to detail requiredAdditional Requirements
• Bachelor's degree required (specialization in finance, accounting, or business administration, health information management, preferred)
• Two or years of experience (consecutive or cumulative) in healthcare finance, clinical research, or health information management preferred
• Experience using Epic preferred
• Experience conducting clinical research or managing research finance preferred