About Whitman-Walker Health
At Whitman-Walker, our commitment to “Community, Caring and Quality” really shines through! Our mission is to be the highest quality, culturally competent community health center serving greater Washington’s diverse urban community, including individuals who face barriers to accessing care, and with a special expertise in LGBT and HIV care. We offer a full line of healthcare services including: (1) comprehensive outpatient offerings for medical and dental healthcare; (2) an on-site Pharmacy; (3) legal support in the areas of access to health care, public benefits and private insurance, discrimination and workplace rights, immigration, transgender rights and others; (4) behavioral healthcare provided through individual and group therapy; and (5) confidential and anonymous HIV testing and counseling services.
Whitman-Walker Clinic is seeking a Research Nurse to serve as lead study coordinator for clinical trials. This individual will participate in the administration and implementation of research programs at the clinic, assuring that study protocols are accurately followed.
Primary Essential Duties
- Works with investigators and department leadership to coordinate multiple clinical trials and dedicated project staff.
- Recruits and assists with enrollment of new clients into the various trial programs at Whitman-Walker
- Creates and implements retention programs to proactively reduce subject dropout rates
- Coordinates all patient research visits, maintaining contact with study population over the duration of the study period.
- Performs EKGs, phlebotomy, urinalysis, blood/plasma processing and shipping
- Performs hep-lock placement, IV access and infusion, injection administration per study procedures
- Accurately completes source documents and performs data entry and reviews all quality control processes
- Ensures that all protocols are strictly followed, reviews lab results and reviews interview forms and questionnaires for completeness.
- Provides program information, informed consent and educational material to prospective or current clients to facilitate client's understanding of protocols and treatments.
- Coordinates and trains new project staff on clinical study procedures
- Coordinates referrals for case management, primary care and specialty care as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
No direct budget responsibilities.
No personnel management responsibilities.
Knowledge, Skills, and Talents Required
- Knowledge of HIV/AIDS-related illnesses and substance abuse, including current treatment and adherence strategies and knowledge of risk reduction intervention strategies, including harm reduction and motivational interviewing principles.
- Knowledge of general protocols for clinical trials and related programs, specifically as relates to the duties of the medical provider and ethical standards in communicating with patients.
- Highly developed oral and written communication skills, including the ability to function efficiently as part of a multidisciplinary team in facilitating the clinical trial programs.
- Ability to conduct sensitive, empathetic interviews that respect the dignity and diversity of clients.
- Ability to prepare accurate, concise and comprehensive reports.
- Ability to maintain client records and information in an accurate, timely and confidential manner.
- Excellent organizational skills, including proficiency in use of computer word processing and data entry programs and the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
Education and Experience Required
- Licensure as a LPN, Registered Nurse in the District of Columbia required; would consider certified research coordinator as well.
- Two years clinical experience post LPN or RN licensure preferred; Clinical trial experience mandatory
- Two years of experience working with people living with HIV/AIDS or issues related to HIV disease and treatment preferred.
Working conditions for this position are normal for an office environment. Individual may be required to work evenings and / or weekends and organization events.
- Lifting: No more than 20 lbs. and infrequently.
- Movement: Standing and sitting for long periods.
- Visual: Long periods on computer.
- Concentration: Extended periods of engagement with computer systems where concentration is key to accuracy in data entry. Intermittent periods of engagement with a telephone system to respond to inquiries where concentration is key to task performance.
- Communication: Direct and indirect communication. Written and verbal competency.
The above job description is designed to indicate a general sense of the duties and expectations of this position. It is not to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and responsibilities required. As the nature of our business demands change, so too, may the duties and responsibilities of this position. You may be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned.