The Clinical Systems Engineer is responsible for the systems, workstations and applications that comprises the organization's clinical infrastructure. This includes collaboration with the IT Infrastructure team in the deployment, configuration, maintenance and monitoring of servers, workstations, biomedical equipment, mobile devices and hosted/in house clinical applications. The goal is to ensure maximum performance, uptime and quality of service for the organization's users, including, but not limited to clinicians, staff, patients and vendors.
The Ideal Candidate
- Significant and successful experience in designing, implementing and supporting various healthcare related solutions. Experience in a healthcare setting required, specifically a hospital, multi-specialty group or ancillary provider, preferably in a 24x7 environment.
- Knowledge of healthcare data exchange and interoperability protocols including HL7, FHIR, REST API, DICOM, Direct Messaging and related data interchange formats.
- Knowledge of biomedical devices and systems utilized in an ambulatory setting, including imaging, laboratory, pharmacy, physician practice and remote monitoring/telemetry.
- Preferred experience working in an environment where HIPAA and NIST compliance is in use.
- Knowledge of Database system design and ability to write SQL queries joining data from multiple tables and/or databases.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to multi-task and manage several independent projects at the same time.
- Experience - Administering Databases, Scripting or Light Weight Utility Development, Supporting, Implementing or Administering Enterprise Infrastructure Elements.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Provide support, system maintenance, monitoring, architecting, disaster recovery, business continuity, and problem resolution with a focus on clinical Appliances/Applications in a healthcare setting.
- Participate in the development of technical road maps, designs, and testing plans for the introduction of new end-user computing and infrastructure systems/technology and changes to existing end-user computing and infrastructure systems/technology going into production.
- In conjunction with the IT Infrastructure Team, execute on technical road maps, designs, testing plans, and implementation for the introduction of new end-user computing and infrastructure systems/technology and changes to existing end-user computing and infrastructure systems/technology going into production.
- Ensure proper documentation is created and maintained to assist in support of all clinical information technology solutions.
- Work in collaboration with System Administrators, and Field Engineers to configure and install all new clinical systems.
- Perform knowledge transfer sessions for IT and clinical staff.
Additional Skills required:
Working experience with hardware and software systems including on premise data center with Dell servers and storage, DNS, DHCP, Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktop, Citrix XenApp, VMware, MS RDP, Linux, Unix, and Windows environments is preferred.
- Monitoring and maintenance of existing physical and virtual servers.
- Performs new installs/re-installs w/o assistance.
- Provides related clinical systems and applications training to IT staff and end users.
- Verifies work is complete before leaving area.
- Troubleshoots basic faulty equipment problems, identifies issues and conducts replacement or repair.
- Quickly identifies issues beyond scope and routes complex problems to IT Infrastructure team and/or vendor escalation
- Knowledge of Disaster recovery, computer forensic tools, technologies and methods
- Participates in preparation and facilitating enterprise Change Management Activities
- Possesses ability to work in rapidly changing environment and desire to learn technologies as needed.
- Team player required: must be able to interact with peers, management, and executives in a constantly evolving environment to ensure a positive customer experience and any identified risks
This Job does not require supervisory responsibility
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education, Experience and /or demonstrated proficiency in:
- Associates Degree in a related field or equivalent experience. 2 years in Healthcare IT required
- Interface implementation in HL7, FHIR, and or REST API
- Knowledge of Backup, Archive, and Disaster Recovery solutions
- Systems engineering with Microsoft (Windows 10, Windows Server 2012/2016/2019), Unix, and Linux, operating systems
- Imaging with Smart Deploy, Active Directory group policies (GPO), and desktop (end-user computing) engineering
- Virtualization platforms such as VMware and HyperV
- Microsoft Remote Desktop/Remote App deployment
- System automation, advanced scripting (VBScript, WinBatch, PowerShell, and Python), and implementation of enterprise monitoring tools
- Knowledge of enterprise DNS and DHCP environments
- Understanding of HIPAA and HITECH and related regulations
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- A comprehensive understanding of standard IT infrastructure and administration practice
- The ability to identify and quantify IT related risks and common mitigation strategies
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Advanced math skills are needed.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of EMR software; Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet software and Microsoft Word Processing software.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Physical Demands The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate depending on business activity of the office.