The Cloud Systems Engineer’s main responsibility is building upon and maintaining the company’s Linux-based Cloud Environment in AWS. While fulfilling these duties, the Cloud Systems Engineer is involved in the monitoring, deployment, configuration, and administration of various components supporting the company’s cloud applications. This includes troubleshooting production issues, and if unable to resolve, escalating to appropriate associates/management in the manner required. The Cloud Systems Engineers collaborates with different teams within the IT department to discuss, analyze, or resolve usability issues, and work on projects to update or create new cloud-based systems. While there is an offshore team in place to provide 24/7 support coverage, the incumbent must participate in an on call rotation to respond to critical system outages and events. The incumbent will also provide technical leadership in the following areas: create new cloud-based systems or update existing ones, maintain and enhance the security, backup and recoverability of cloud-based systems, improve cloud sysops automation using native AWS tools or Ansible. This position will also mentor Cloud System Administrators and Offshore Contractors.
• Responsible to supporting cloud infrastructures and ensure that our cloud based systems meet the needs of the Company.
• Responsible to ensure vendor software/technology is configured to work within the Company cloud infrastructure
• Lead project scope development and options analysis and recommend technical solutions to meet company’s needs.
• Responsible for the creation of project plans, timelines, milestones, goals and ownership
• Lead regular meetings to ensure effectiveness of plan, cost implications and quality of solution
• Must complete and implement projects on time, and ensure all tasks and projects are executed to department quality standards
• Other projects as assigned by the supervisor
• Involved in analyzing system/software capabilities and how it relates to creating a technical solution.
• Identify future opportunities for system enhancement and value generation.
• Work closely with project team during scope development and option analysis phase.
• Manage the projects and/or solutions to meet client group expectations.
• Execute technical solutions to department quality standards.
• Responsible to assess task quality and provide ongoing feedback to project members.
• Provide coaching to other staff members
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience required, advanced degrees preferred
• Green Belt, Black Belt, Lean, or PMP certification preferred
• 5-7 years of functional experience
• 1-3 years of project management experience (including large scale projects, and managing multiple projects at one time).
• Advanced level knowledge of Redhat and Oracle Linux
• Advanced level knowledge of Web Servers (such as Apache), Application Servers (such as Websphere), and Load Balancing
• Advanced level knowledge of Open-source technologies
• Advanced level knowledge of products such as Jira, Fisheye, Git, Bamboo, Bitbucket, SVN and Wiki
• Advanced level troubleshooting skills and use of tools such as HTTPWatch, Fiddler, NMAP, GREP, TOP, NETSTAT, VMSTAT, TCPDUMP
• Advanced level knowledge of Linux scripting tools such as CRON, PERL, PYTHON, PHP, AWK, JACL, JYTHON etc.
• Advanced level knowledge of monitoring tools such as Hyperic, Sitescope, OSSEC, HP Tools, Insight Manager and Cloud Monitor
• Advanced level knowledge of JVM tuning, memory and heap management, garbage collection
• Working knowledge of Cloud Computing, Cloud Foundry, AWS and VMWare
• Working knowledge of Rabbit MQ, SpringXD and Zookeeper
• Working knowledge of Networking, SAN, Firewalls and Proxies
• Working knowledge of Security Principles, AD, LDAP and SAML
• Working knowledge of Database technologies such as Oracle, DB2, MS SQL, Big Data Greenplum, Gemfire, NoSQL as they relate to infrastructure and communication
• Demonstrated understanding of Company’s web infrastructure and how it supports our web based applications
• Regular, predictable, full attendance is an essential function of the job
• Willingness to travel as necessary, work the required schedule, work at the specific location required, complete Penske employment application, submit to a background investigation (to include past employment, education, and criminal history) and drug screening are required.