rms Surgical is a single-source provider of custom instrumentation and sterilization cases and trays for the medical device market. Complete design capability complements the sterilization case and tray manufacturing with an emphasis on fast turnaround of prototype and production requirements. The instrumentation manufacturing is supported by dedicated prototype capability and design for manufacturability support.
rms Surgical, a Cretex Medical Company, emerged from rms and JunoPacific, leading medical device manufacturing companies with a worldwide reputation for providing precision machined implants and other devices to the medical device industry. Join our dedicated team of professionals!
We have 2nd Shift available: 4:30pm - 3:00am Monday through Thursday, with overtime as needed
The Machinist III position meets all Machinist II requirements and is knowledgeable with all machine functions. A machinist at this level is able to take a print of a part and manufacture the part described. They are capable of developing a process to include layout and tool checking new jobs, editing a program, complete set up, dry run and manufacture parts with close tolerances or unusual requirements with no assistance.
Essential Job Functions
- Programs, setup and runs 5-axis CNC grinding machines for production and prototypes projects that would include, but not limited to stainless steel orthopedic rasps, reamers, drills, trocars, hip stem broaches, etc.
- Provides support to engineering when specifying and developing print and work instructions for the grinding department
- Provides an advanced level of machining techniques on a 5-axis CNC grinder
- Streamlines setups for optimum efficiencies
- Understands tool detection, wheel presetting and probing in a 5-axis CNC grinder
- Responsible for maintaining machine uptime and efficiency metrics
- Troubleshoots and resolves issues, escalating non-conformances to the appropriate personnel
- Detailed documentation of all measurements, counts, etc. on all shop floor documentation
- Exhibits good documentation practices (GDP) and good manufacturing practices (GMP)
- Completes first article and in-process inspection procedures utilizing inspection equipment (micrometers, calipers, drop indicators, profilometers, comparitors, etc.) Experience with an Accu-edge Cutting Tool Inspection system, VisionGage, MicroVu, or Hexagon CMM a plus.
- Advanced blueprint reading skills and understands GD&T
- Mentors level I and II machinists. Frequently monitors compliance to the operation policies and procedures as they develop their skills and expertise.
- Interacts with programming, engineering and quality in regards to production and prototype projects
- Utilizes SPC as a process monitoring and problem solving technique
- Ability to work with difficult materials (the majority of the projects are stainless steel)
- Cross trains in other departments to learn new skills
- Runs multiple CNC machines to improve efficiency and utilization
- Completes machine maintenance per the specific machine maintenance checklist
- Reads, understands, and follows work instructions
- Buffs, deburrs, and visually inspects components under a microscope
- Participates and drives Operational Excellence/Lean Initiatives including, but not limited to product process improvement projects, Common Cent$ projects, A3 projects, 5S projects and sustainability, etc.
- Understands and complies with the Cretex Professional Competencies, company policies, and the employee manual
- Adheres to all safety policies
- Supports and complies with the company's Quality System, ISO, and medical device requirements
- Completes all other work duties as assigned
Minimum Requirements, Education & Experience (incl. KSA's and certifications)
- 3-5 years' experience on a 5-axis CNC grinder
- Two-year machining or technical degree (or a minimum of 4 years of experience machining medical components with tight tolerances)
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Ability to read, comprehend, follow, and document work instructions, standard operating procedures, shop documentation, and training documents
- Advanced math skills including trigonometry
- Experience with an ERP system (ProfitKey experience a plus)
- Mechanical aptitude
- Dexterity and hand and eye coordination
- Attention to detail
- Strong problem solving skills
- Ability to prioritize work and manage multiple tasks
- Ability to take direction from the area manager
- Ability to collaborate and assist team members, provide input to the area lead, and attend and participate in meetings
- Ability to cross train in other areas of production when required
Desirable Criteria & Qualifications
- CNC grinding experience in a medical manufacturing environment
- Ability to dress and form grinding wheels
- Mentoring experience
- Experience working in a highly regulated industry (FDA, ISO)
Physical & Environmental Demands
- Ability to work in a manufacturing environment
Applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, veteran status, marital status, family status, status with regard to public assistance, or any other protected status as required by law.