Metals USA Plates & Shapes, Inc -- Gregor Technologies -- Torrington, CT
Position Title: CNC Turning Machine Operator
Job Status: Full Time
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Work Schedule: 1st Shift
Metals USA - Plates & Shapes, Inc. -- Gregor Technologies Division specializes in contract manufacturing for various commercial, defense and scientific OEMs.
The CNC Turning Machine Operator is responsible to produce machined parts by programming, setting up and operating Computer Numerical Control (CNC) machine to perform tasks such as drilling, grinding, turning and milling while maintaining quality and safety standards; keeping records; maintaining equipment and supplies.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Plans machining by studying & understanding work orders, blueprints, engineering plans, materials, specifications, drawing, reference planes, locations of surfaces, and machining parameters, interpreting geometric dimensions and tolerances (GD&T).
* Prepares and operates CNC machine with the proper program, tools and material for specified part.
* Translates instructions into computer commands so the machine can perform the correct function.
* Programs lathes by entering instructions, including zero and reference points; setting tool registers, offsets, compensation, and conditional switches; calculates requirements to include basic math, geometry and trigonometry.
* Sets-up mills and lathes by installing and adjusting three & four jaw chucks, tools, attachments, collets, bushings, cams, gears, stops and stock pushers.
* Prepares and loads raw materials and parts onto the machines.
* Operates production equipment to produce products in accordance with production needs.
* Prepares a test run to check if the machine produces parts according to specifications; verifies settings by measuring positions, first-run parts and sample workpieces.
* Sets machines to complete full cycles to fabricate large number of parts. Produces assigned products in accordance with verbal and written instructions.
* Maintains specifications by observing drilling, grooving and cutting, including turning, facing, knurling and thread chase operations; taking measurements; detecting malfunctions; troubleshooting processes; adjusting and re-programming controls; sharpening and replacing worn tools; adhering to quality assurance procedures and policies.
* Monitors the machines as they execute the tasks and makes any necessary adjustment to produce a quality product.
* Inspects and measures finished products and compares to the requirements to determine if the process was completed properly.
* Notifies team leader immediately of any problems when running a part.
* Completes production paperwork, follows shop system data collection procedures and follows inspection procedures on a daily basis.
* Performs daily maintenance and inspection of equipment to ensure functionality.
* Regular and predictable attendance is required to perform the duties of a CNC Turning Machine Operator.
* Maintains work areas in a clean, orderly and safe manner to include returning tools to designated areas.
* Notifies management of product discrepancies or equipment malfunctions, and or personal injuries.
* Adheres to all company policies and procedures paying special attention to safety regulations.
* Adheres to Reliance Steel and Aluminum's Code of Conduct as well as customer confidentiality requirements.
* Performs other related duties as assigned.
Occupation requires physical activity more than 66% of the time (> 5.5 hours per day)
* Stand, walk, sit, handling/fingering, reach outward, reach above shoulder, climb, squat or kneel or bend
* Lift, carry, push and/or pull 51 -- 100 lbs. with assistance
Other Physical Requirements:
Must wear the proper personal protective equipment (PPE)
* Steel-toed boots
* Hard hats with chin strap; chin strap must be worn at all times while on elevated surfaces
* Protective eyewear
* Hand protection
* Arm guards/sleeves
* Hearing protection if required by the hearing conservation program
* May be exposed to some of the following working conditions.
* Working inside of an industrial warehouse
* Moderate to loud noise levels
* Oils, dust, fumes and metallic particles
* Day and night shifts
* High School Graduate or Equivalent
* Two year technical degree and/or apprenticeship
* National Institute for Metalworking Skills (NIMS) certificate preferred
* Proven experience as a CNC Machine Operator
* Ability to comprehend oral and written communication
* Ability to articulate with concise thoughts
* Ability to read and interpret mechanical drawings & documents, blue prints
* Ability to read a measuring instruments such as measuring tapes, micrometers, calipers, dial indicators and gauges
* Must have mechanical aptitude and good math skills
* Computer Literacy with understanding of computer programming and CAD/CAM
* Must be organized with an attention to detail
Metals USA offer a competitive starting salary and benefits package
EOE/Affirmative Action Employer M/F/D/V
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled