Who are we? Watch to find out!
Code Welder - Houston, TX
Koch Heat Transfer is seeking an Code Welder at our manufacturing shop in Houston.
The Koch Heat Transfer group builds on the strength of its companies, incorporating a market-based business philosophy with continuous improvement and development of heat transfer technology for the refining, chemical and upstream industries. The group is built on globally-recognized brands in the tubular heat transfer business, such as BROWN FINTUBE®, ALCO™, ALCO-TWIN™ and BOS-HATTEN™ products.
At home and abroad, Koch Heat Transfer continues to provide innovative heat transfer solutions to the process industry. We are one of the few companies in the world which offer the specialized expertise of well-trained and experienced Thermal and Mechanical Engineering staff, combined with superb manufacturing and technology supported by a unique, state-of the-art R&D facility.
Today we are recognized as a world leader in the supply of specialized and standard shell and tube heat exchangers, double pipe, multi-tube hairpin, and tank heater equipment, including finned tubes. Our TWISTED TUBE® Bundle Technology solves many of the common problems encountered in the operation of conventional shell-and-tube heat exchangers. We enable equipment cost savings, lower energy costs, reduced maintenance requirements, elimination of flow-induced-vibrations, longer cleaning cycles, and increased thermal efficiency.
Headquartered in Houston, Texas, the Koch Heat Transfer group is represented in every major country, with manufacturing facilities in the United States (Koch Heat Transfer Company, LP), Canada (Koch Heat Transfer Canada, LP) and sales offices all over the world.
The Code Welder will be responsible for performing welding operations to meet welding procedures specifications (WPS) in an efficient manner. The successful candidate will ensure that welds are capable of passing RT and UT requirements. The person in this role should adhere to all safety and environmental guidelines, policies, and procedures. Maintain a clean shop and work area and maintain accurate welding and material records. Weld multiple pipe-to-pipe coupons in the 2G and 5G position that must pass testing by non-destructive (radiography) and destructive (bend tests) methods evaluated in accordance with ASME Code. The Code Welder may work in inclement weather and confined spaces.
The person in this role will report directly to the Weld Shop Supervisor.
A Day In The Life Typically Includes:
The Code Welder will work in the fabrication of ASME certified shell and tube, hairpin and other heat exchanges made from carbon steel, stainless steel and different alloys. The person in this role will lay out and weld cast and forged components to various parts of the pressure vessel using a variety of weld processes in a number of positions. Some of the expectations and responsibilities for the person in this role are:
- Adhere to all safety and environmental guidelines, policies and procedures
- Responsible for set up, operation and positioning of welding equipment to perform required welds according with drawings and WPSs
- Responsible to perform quality checks and continuously inspect materials and production to ensure product is in conformance. Identifies and communicates any non-conforming products
- Perform other related duties, including grinding, burning, gouging, and chipping
- Operate and maintain welding equipment
- Use and maintain the proper weld wire per alloy
- Perform necessary adjustments to the power source gauges. Hold argon CFH from 5-30 CFH. Welding 70 - 150 AMP maximum, except for ECY 768 (125-amp max)
- Must demonstrate the desire to perform in a professional manner as a member of a team, as well as a team leader, to give inputs on activities that will help complete project assignments in a timely and efficient manner while upholding the quality and safety standards
- Must be able to operate overhead crane, have knowledge of rigging slings and lifting
- Certified ASME Code Welder
- 3+ years of experience welding pipe and/or vessels in accordance with ASME Section IX code using GMAW, SMAW, GTAW and FCAW welding procedures, and qualified to weld in accordance with ASME Code
- 3+ years of experience reading drawings and blue prints, welding procedures and welding symbols
- Must be able to set-up and complete a weld qualification test to be hired as a code welder. Test results will be used in conjunction with other criteria to determine candidate qualification for role.
- Test will include: Weld multiple pipe-to-pipe coupons in the 2G and 5G position that will be evaluated by nondestructive (radiography) and destructive (bend tests) methods in accordance with ASME Code. Weld processes GMAW, SMAW, GTAW and FCAW on pipe 1-1/2" and greater. Results to be evaluated in accordance with ASME code
- At least three years of experience operating overhead crane and having knowledge of rigging slings and lifting
- Meet the physical demands of the job
- Heavy lifting, bending and working in inclement weather
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs., unassisted
- Exposure to loud noises, fumes, sparks, vibrations, dust, dirt, irritants and smoke may occur
- Ability to wear a respirator and to pass a respirator fit test
- Ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Ability to operate overhead crane
What Will Put You Ahead?
- Associate degree in Welding Technology
- 5+ years of experience welding pipe and/or vessels in accordance with ASME Section IX code using GMAW, SMAW, GTAW and FCAW welding procedures, and qualified to weld in accordance with ASME Code
- 3+ years of working experience welding brass and/or titanium
- 3+ years of working experience with brazing and seal welding
- Ability to qualify and weld on all processes in 6G position
- Ability to perform fitting operations
This position is not eligible visa sponsorship.
Want to learn more about Koch Heat Transfer?
We are an equal opportunity employer. Minority/Female/Disabled/VeteranExcept where prohibited by state law, all offers of employment are conditioned upon successfully passing a drug test.
This employer uses E-Verify. Please visit the following website for additional information: www.kochcareers.com/doc/Everify.pdf