The Commercial Warehouse Supervisor I - Transportation is responsible for supervising warehouse workers who receive, palletize, vault, store, and distribute goods, materials, equipment, and products within Customers Warehouses. This position is a working supervisor, as they may perform these functions themselves, as needed. This position provides leadership, training and direction to all warehouse workers including temporary workers and/or requested labor workers.
In addition, this position is responsible to train staff to ensure quality work is performed, and most importantly, responsible to ensure the customer’s complete satisfaction.
This position is also responsible for reporting and escalating any related issues about the project to the Operations Manager. Reporting to the Transportation Manager,
- Must be able to fully complete work orders, inbounds, outbounds, accesses and cross-docks as well as bills of lading, tick sheets, OS&D forms and circle sheets.
- Loads and unloads trucks with loose, boxed or palletized goods.
- Inspects goods for damage and verifies complete orders.
- Palletizes and/or un-palletizes goods.
- Vaults and/or un-vaults goods.
- Pads, stretch-wraps and protects goods prior to placement in storage to prevent damage.
- Places and pulls goods throughout the warehouse via the use of a pallet jack, forklift, order picker or moving equipment.
- Sets, offsets, pushes, pulls, lifts, carries and moves furniture, equipment and boxes as required.
- Properly loads and unloads trucks from loading dock, using ramps or on lift-gates to protect goods being moved and supervises others doing the same. Completes all paperwork accurately and neatly and turns into operations daily.
- Supervises warehouse workers (up to 15), requested labor workers and temporary staff ensuring accuracy and productivity.
- Ensure all crew members take their meal and rest period breaks according to company policy.
- Assists with performance management of crew members and recommends necessary discipline and termination of employees in accordance with company policy.
- Assists with ensuring all timesheets and other documentation are completed accurately, signed by employees and submitted by the time requirement.
- Assists with monitoring the team for compliance on company and customer policies and procedures.
- Must possess the ability to teach basic WD training, CS training and Safety classes using PowerPoint for new hires or when required by Manager.
Inventory and Maintenance
- Enters and updates inventory information through the use of hand held scanning equipment and interface with warehouse inventory management system.
- Ability to accurately document all movement and or changes in inventory through the use of a hand held scanning device and interface with the warehouse asset management system.
- Meets or exceeds Corovan commercial productivity standards for pieces per hour, pallets per hour, pieces on pallets per hour and hours per vault inbound and outbound.
- Must be able to identify and inventory all major brands of systems furniture.
- Maintain excellent customer service with the customers, sales, transportation, and operation teams to establish solid relationships.
- Must be punctual at all times. If an emergency arises, inform the dispatcher and Operations Manager immediately, so that appropriate coverage can be arranged.
- Must work cooperatively with all members of the crew.
- Must be courteous, helpful, and professional to all existing and potential customers.
- Ensure interactions with crew and customers are professional at all times to promote company’s values and expectations.
- Assist with proactive engagements of employees to promote a positive work environment.
- Must be encouraging and helpful to the crew by treating them with respect and find solutions to their questions, for example, location and work hours.
- Any negative encounter, including discipline, should immediately be diffused to avoid further escalation and resolved off-site or in a private office.
- Assist with training of employees using PowerPoint training sessions with all crew members as needed, in compliance with company policy, to include on-the-job training.
- Must be familiar with and able to train other using various moving equipment and its proper usage such as dollies, carts, pads, straps, pallet jacks, forklifts, ramps, lift gates, and all specialty equipment including but not limited to roll-a-lifts, Genie lifts safe jacks, J bars, etc.
Safety and Security
- Responsible to insure the warehouse passes safety audits monthly.
- Assists with the management of the buildings assigned as facility manager for security, maintenance, cleanliness, as wells as vendor and landlord management, under the supervision of a senior warehouse manager.
- May be assigned to open, close and set alarms on remote warehouses upon assignment by Warehouse Manager.
- Trains crews in proper handling and safety techniques.
- Ensure crews are adhering to all safety rules; to include proper safety equipment PPE (back braces, safety shoes, safety glasses, masks, gloves, etc. required by the company or customer), drive forklifts safely (seatbelt, slow speeds, ensuring trucks are chalked and using proper plates, etc.).
- Provide daily safety briefings (safety huddles) with crew, at the beginning of each job, to be in compliance with company policy.
- Report all safety concerns immediately to Warehouse Manager.
- Follow all confidentiality rules regarding any products or services that you see at a customer’s move site.
- Follow all security rules for the company and assigned customers.
- Must be respectful of rules at each customer site as to where to work, and adhere to meal and rest period locations.
- Must follow all confidentiality rules with regards to any products or services that are visible at the move site.
- Promote Corovan’s Mission and Vision Statements, including promoting compliance with company policies and procedures.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED); related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must have five (5) years of warehouse experience using various moving equipment and its proper usage such as dollies, carts, pads, straps, pallet jacks, forklifts, ramps, lift gates, and all specialty equipment including but not limited to roll-a-lifts, Genie lifts safe jacks, and J bars.
- Demonstration of experience providing leadership or guidance to other employees in a labor oriented environment.
- Valid California driver’s license is preferred.
- If driving on behalf of company, a valid driving record that meets the company’s insurance carrier’s requirements is required.
- Certified forklift operator license preferred.
- Previous commercial and/or household installation experience preferred.
- Familiar with all components of systems furniture nomenclature and be able to identify upon sight, the major lines of the three major manufactures; Steelcase, Herman Miller and Haworth preferred.
- Familiar with MS Outlook, Word, Excel, Visio and PowerPoint preferred.
Pay & Benefits
- Competitive hourly wage based on experience
- Retirement savings plan with company match
- Employee Referral Bonus & Contest Reward Program
- Safety Reward Program
- Corovan University continuous learning and career development training.
- Health insurance, Dental insurance, Vision insurance and Voluntary Supplemental Insurance eligibility is evaluated regularly. Eligibility is based on hours worked. Employee must maintain a consistent average work schedule of 30+ hours per week.
- ORGANIZATIONSKILLS - Organization and project planning skills with ability to juggle multiple assignments and tasks.
- LANGUAGE SKILLS - Ability to read and interpret documents written in English such as procedures, work instructions, and timesheets. Must efficiently communicate with customer and coworkers.
- MATHEMATICAL SKILLS - Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to read and correctly interpret the legend on installation drawings and read both standard and metric tape measures.
- REASONING ABILITY - Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- LEADERSHIP - Strong interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Problem solving and strong decision making skills.
- May be familiar with and able to train others using various moving equipment and its proper usage such as dollies, carts, pads, straps, pallet jacks, forklifts, ramps, lift gates, and all specialty equipment including but not limited to roll-a-lifts, Genie lifts safe jacks, J bars, etc., etc.
- Familiar with basic systems furniture nomenclature and be able to identify upon sight, the major lines of the three major manufactures; Steelcase, Herman Miller and Haworth preferred.
- Must be able to create, read and correctly interpret current warehouse work orders.
- Must possess an intermediate knowledge of current asset management hardware and software operation for scanning goods in and out of the warehouse.
- Possesses an intermediate level knowledge of Corovan security equipment including video cameras, DVR’s, and March Networks Software, as well as Windfall software, and Intermec and Motorola Scanners.
- Must be familiar with warehouse cross dock and transloading services. Such as, container trailer breakdown and proper staging for such items.
- Must be able to produce detailed inventories of all goods exposed to on O&I and install projects.
- Must be qualified to do light rigging of heavy and bulky machines up to 5000 lbs.
- Must be familiar with the Corovan Order Entry System and be able to perform planning & dispatch functions if necessary.
- Must complete Warehouse Worker I & II, Supervisor I Level Corovan University training and pass the written tests. May also be required to pass Supervisor II, or be a qualified and approved Driver I or II.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Individuals are required to be able to sit or stand for long periods as needed throughout the day.
- Walking: May require walking primarily on a level surface, but may include walking on uneven or inclined surfaces for lengthy periods throughout the day, often up and down stairs.
- Handling: Seizes, helps or works with hands.
- Lifting: Proper lifting techniques required. May include lifting up to 75 pounds, and pushing or pulling up to 150 pounds throughout the day. May also include climbing or descending stairs while carrying goods up to 50 pounds.
- Reaching: Extends hands and arms in any direction, reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting as required.
- Standing: Remains in standing position if required to perform various functions of the job.
- Stooping: Bends body downward and forward by bending at knees or waist.
- Vision: Reads paperwork.
- Talking: Communications by phone, email, text and in person.
- Sitting: May sit at desk. May sit for long periods of time.
- May include bending, reaching, squatting, twisting, stooping, and kneeling throughout the day.
- May be required to do stair carries.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The performance of this position may occasional require exposure to the manufacturing, assembly and construction areas and under certain conditions require the use of personal protective equipment such as safety shoes, safety glasses with side shields and/or hearing protection. This list is not all inclusive.
- Temp/Weather: Works in either 1) Office environment - for the most part ambient room temperatures, lighting and traditional office equipment, and 2) Warehouse – may be exposed to hot or cold temperature, and construction zones, 3) Outside - may be exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, outside weather conditions and hot or cold.
- Noise: Works in office, warehouse, construction zones, or outside environment, with constant or intermittent noise.
Position Type / Expected Hour of Work
- Hourly, full time non-exempt, regular position.
- Employees might be required to work late evenings or weekends depending on the business needs.
- All Overtime must be approved by manager before working.
- Must be able to work 7 days a week including holidays.
This position may require travel around the local area; depending upon customer assignment.