Karma Automotive is passionate, responsible and uncompromising.
We make beautiful, ecologically sensitive products, and we will provide a memorable ownership experience for our customers.
Our work environment is casual, and our culture is results-oriented.
The Commodity Specialist (Infotainment and Controls) reports directly to the Senior Manager, Purchasing and is responsible for strategic and tactical procurement of commodities, supplies, and services to be used by the organization, in relation to Production and Engineering resources. Oversee all commercial activities with suppliers. Interface with cross functional areas, including manufacturing, logistics, engineering, and supplier quality to meet program deliverables. Creates cost models for Infotainment and Controls Electronics at Karma.
This position will work in our Irvine, CA corporate offices.
- Oversee all commercial activities with Infotainment and Controls suppliers
- Mentors and trains other buyers in the Infotainment, Controls, or Electronics commodities
- Understands and directs commodity management.
- Understand commodity part manufacturing and component cost elements.
- Leads control and authorization of the Authorized Vendor List for Infotainment and Controls Systems or Components.
- Interface with cross functional areas, including manufacturing, logistics, engineering, and supplier quality to meet cost targets and program deliverables
- Lead the supplier selection process for Infotainment and Controls Electronic Contract Manufacturers and for Infotainment and Controls; sources and negotiates with potential suppliers, requests RFQ’s, evaluates and analyzes results and provide sourcing documentation and recommendations to leadership in conformance with company standards.
- Sources “best value” products through domestic, international, and LCC suppliers. Buyer should possess a basic understanding of product flow through import/export and customs/broker process.
- Creates “Should” costing models with Cost Engineering for “black box’ Infotainment and Controls Modules and Contract Manufactured parts.
- Negotiate contractual terms regarding cost, delivery, quality, transportation, and other standard or special contract terms
- Maintain purchase price and raw material price trends and analysis and works with Finance to implement purchasing/financial counter-measures
- Participates in and supports AQP activities in support of New Product Launch activities.
- Implements design changes and manages the execution of changes with suppliers.
- Balance current and future demand requirements with supplier capabilities/capacities to ensure completion of requirements
- Achieves cost reduction goals for assigned commodities in support of corporate directive.
- Performs cost analysis with a thorough understanding of cost factors.
- Possesses an understanding of contractual language and the fundamental skills for contract writing
- Evaluates supplier performance, stability and institutes improvements/corrective action as required.
- Interface with Supplier Quality Assurance on production part PPAPs and quality issues.
- Comply with established corporate and purchasing policy and processes
- Maintains purchase order files (i.e. quotes, blanket orders, warrants, prints, design changes, etc.) to support of the company’s quality system requirements.
- Accurate contract execution and record retention.
- Compiles and evaluates data for various weekly, monthly, and annual reports (cost reduction, market fluctuation, LCC, supplier ratings, supplier scrap, budget variance, minority sourcing, supplier expenditure, etc.).
- Attends departmental training, company meetings and HR training awareness sessions.
- Communicates frequently with internal and external contacts on various issues.
- Performs other duties as necessary.
- Bachelor degree or equivalent Supply Chain Management experience.
- Supply Chain Management
- Ten to Fifteen years of experience in automotive purchasing (OEM or Tier 1) or 20+ years in Electronics purchasing, preferably with experience in Displays, Infotainment, and Driver Controls.
- Extensive experience purchasing complex electronic assemblies and buying electronic components
- Training in one or more developmental areas (i.e. negotiation, contract writing, cost analysis, legal, leadership development, etc.).
- Willingness to travel as needed, including overseas (especially China)
- Advanced understanding of the critical cost elements of Electronics Contract Manufacturing
- Fact based negotiation skills.
- Works with all levels of management, including executive management
- Must display ability to identify problems, recommend solutions, and negotiate and execute contingency plans.
- Must be able to accept personal responsibility and accountability for major analytical and planning assignments.
- Communicates directly with management and cross-functional leaders as required.
- Strong teamwork skills. Able to develop consensus and move the program forward. Develop win-win situations.
- Mandarin Language skills desired, not required
- Time management skills.
- SAP experience desired, not required.
- Basic knowledge of Quality Management Systems (ISO 9001:2015) and Environmental Management Systems (ISO 14001:2015), as applicable.
Come and join the great Karma Team, where you can make a career! Karma Automotive offers a complete benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life, STD, LTD; paid vacation, holidays and personal days; and a 401K with matching contributions. Relocation assistance is available.
NO 3rd Party Recruiters. Principles Only, Please
Karma Automotive LLC is an equal employment opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of gender, color, race, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, national origin, age, religion, veteran status, genetic information, citizenship status or any other group protected by law. Karma Automotive LLC complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act to ensure equal access to all qualified individuals with a disability. Valid driver’s license may be required based on essential duties.