The City of San José, the Capital of Silicon Valley is one of the nation’s best managed cities and one of the top ten cities in which to live, work, and do business. Moreover, San José is the center of cultural, government and economic activity for the region. The employees of the City of San José have embraced the following values: Integrity, Innovation, Excellence, Collaboration, Respect and Celebration.
The San José City Council consists of ten Councilmembers elected by district and a Mayor elected at-large, each for four-year terms. The Mayor and Council are responsible for representing the residents of San José, providing accountability, reviewing public policy and programs, and adopting those policies which best meet the needs of the residents, visitors, and businesses in San José.
The Mayor serves as the political leader in San José, and under the City Charter, is responsible for recommending policy, program, and budget priorities for the City.
Positions & Duties
The Office of Mayor Sam Liccardo is seeking a creative and energetic individual who is passionate about serving the community and committed to advancing the Mayor’s vision for San José. This individual will join a small but dynamic team that is responsible for carrying out a comprehensive and multi-faceted communications operation.Typical Duties:
The following are examples of the types of duties that this position may be responsible for:
- Writing and editing press releases, media advisories, mayoral correspondence, news and feature articles and a wide variety of other communications materials.
- Executing a multi-faceted social media strategy to effectively engage the community and constituents with the Mayor's policies, positions, and goals.
- Conducting a range of media outreach strategies, including: placing stories in media outlets; coordinating media requests and interview preparation; and managing relationships with local, regional, and national media sources.
- Proactively developing and managing the Mayor's online web presence on both the City’s website, partner’s web-based assets, and 3rdParty platforms.
- Creating multimedia assets (i.e., print collateral, video, animation, infographics).
- Analyzing earned and owned media metrics as well as larger external trends.
- Day-to-Day administration of the office’s communication tools.
1. Education: A Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent) from an accredited college or university, preferably in the field of Political Science, Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, Marketing, or a related field.
2. Experience: At least two (2) years of professional experience in a position with responsibilities and skills similar to the duties listed above. Experience in public affairs, local government or political offices is highly-desirable (Note: Completion of a post-graduate degree or a relevant fellowship/internship may be considered in lieu of one (1) year of professional work experience).
3. Licenses or Certificates: A valid California driver’s license is required
4. Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San José will not prepare or file a labor condition application with the Department of Labor.
Desired Skills and Competencies:
We desire a well-rounded, dedicated and enthusiastic individual with a broad combination of skills and abilities. A competitive candidate will possess all of the following attributes:
- A strong communicator with exceptional writing skills; Ability to express ideas clearly and concisely, with both precision and political- and cultural- sensitivity.
- An individual who brings a flexible and creative approach to every task.
- A highly-organized individual who demonstrates sound judgment and extreme attention to detail, with the ability to effectively prioritize and manage multiple tasks on tight deadlines.
- A “people person” who can relate to a diverse group of individuals, and who has the ability to initiate, develop and maintain productive relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders.
- Willingness to take direction from Communication Director while asserting personal initiative to determine the best means to accomplish such tasks or projects and the organizational objective.
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office Tools (including Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook).
- An individual who demonstrates high ethical standards.
In addition, the ideal candidate will also possess extensive training and skills, in one or more of the following areas:
- Deep understanding of social media and other “new media tools” and how to strategically deploy such tools as part of a broader communication strategy.
- Experience managing websites via content management tools; proficiency with web-related technologies such as HTML, Flash, etc. are a plus.
- Development of marketing collateral, infographics, or other design materials; proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite or similar design software.
- Experience in using photography or video equipment, and related production and editing tools.
- Detailed data analysis and information management experience.
- Logistical and staff support of all other communications tactics and needs.
Application & Selection Process:
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience. Only the candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be invited to the interview process, which may include practical/writing exercises.
To be considered for this position, you must fill out the online application available on the City of San Jose website and submit the following:
1. Cover Letter & Resume
2. Three (3) writing samples (these samples must be your work product; feel free to submit whatever type of sample that you feel best demonstrates your writing skills).
You will be prompted to answer the following job-specific questions during the online application process. Please note that there is a 4,000-character limit, including spaces, for each text response.
- Briefly describe your experience, and successes, in any two of the following areas: 1) Writing & Editing; 2) Media Relations & Outreach; 3) Social Media and/or Website Management; 4) Graphic Design & Multimedia Asset Development; 5) Development of a Communications or Public Outreach Campaign.
- Think about the most complex assignment or project you’ve been given. Describe the situation, the approach you took, and the ultimate outcome.
- Please share a specific example of when you demonstrated a high level of creativity to complete a task, resolve a challenge, or improve an existing process.
Link to Benefits Page: http://www.sanjoseca.gov/index.aspx?NID=707
Link to California Equal Pay Act: http://www.sjcity.net/DocumentCenter/View/18980
To apply, please complete an application via the City of San José’s website at www.sanjoseca.gov/citycareers . The application deadline is on December 13, 2019 at 11:59 PM. Please allow adequate time to complete the application and submit before the deadline or the system may not save your application. If your online application was successfully submitted, you will receive an automatic confirmation email to the address you provided. IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE THE CONFIRMATION, please email CityCareers@sanjoseca.gov and we will research the status of your application. Please contact Human Resources at (408) 535-1285, or Human.Resources@sanjoseca.gov if you have any questions.