We Are Hiring
You’ve designed campaigns. You’ve designed experiences. Now come join us in building the future of people-centered healthcare. Be a part of creating something special from the ground up that truly makes a difference.
Why Join Ascension?
Ascension is moving the future of healthcare forward with our nation-wide transformation initiative. We have established an in-house, interdisciplinary Design Team tasked with designing the technology-enabled services and experiences of healthcare across the entire spectrum of care delivery. This team – in deep collaboration with colleagues in research, product management, technology, clinical practice, and more – uses human-centered design methods to understand the needs and motivations of our patients and providers and bring solutions to life.
What You Will Do
As a Communications Designer, your role will be responsible for creating a wide range of internal and external communications across a range of media, including print, presentations, digital communications, and physical environments. Your work will range from strategic explorations to tactical improvements. Your audiences will be diverse and include; patients, clinicians, caregivers, internal project teams, executive leadership, and business partners.
The work of your team will be anchored in human-centered design methodology and include research and synthesis to understand latent user needs, design explorations to iteratively generate design options, ample prototyping to bring ideas to life, collaboration with design, product, marketing, and clinical colleagues, and a relentless passion for engaging directly with the user to continuously improve their experience.
Your role will be part of the early formation of the interdisciplinary Design team, and you will help to put best practices in place for the team’s digital design operations. You will teach your peers and mentor less experienced designers, and you will be part of bringing design and design thinking to non-design colleagues across the organization.
- Lead strategic communication design projects from conception to execution
- Establish communication design best practices and support communications design team development
- Represent communications design capabilities with executive leaders across the organization
Expert capability in visual and written communication design and the use of human-centered design methods are critical to this role. An understanding of how communications connect to and are shaped by service design, digital UX design, technology, brand, and marketing strategies is highly valued, as is experience with healthcare, ecommerce, and behavioral economics.
Where You Will Work
River North is Chicago’s most renown area. Ascension’s workspace is right in the heart of this area inside a historic landmark building with amenities to help feed your creativity. Enjoy lounges, private offices, and conference rooms with stunning views of the Chicago River—plus an onsite fitness center and a coffee bar with full-time barista. Commuting is a breeze with more than 10 bus lines all within a two-block radius. After work, walk out and enjoy some of the city’s best restaurants and entertainment options.
What You Will Need
- Empathy for the user and a deep understanding of user-centered design (UCD) practices and principles
- Inspiring abilities and a strong portfolio of work in various communication media
- Ability to identify design opportunities and iteratively evaluate and refine concepts through user-centered research and synthesis
- Collaborating with colleagues to generate many possible design solutions
- Rapid prototyping to bring concepts to life in service of learning and advancing understanding of user needs and behaviors
- Conducting feedback discussions with users and internal stakeholders to refine concepts
- Experience in both digital and non-digital communications, and in both visual and written communications
- Fluency in creating across a variety of media and communication approaches, such as illustration, user stories, user journeys, frameworks, audio/visual communications, etc.
- A high level of proficiency with design management and the experience to advance the team’s design operations
- Excellent interdisciplinary team collaboration skills, including team leadership
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in relevant design field preferred, although High school degree/GED + substantial work experience will be considered.
- 3+ years professional design experience required; experience working in healthcare preferred. Must have a strong portfolio that visually showcases strength and diversity of work.
*** Please include a link to your portfolio in your application ***
We want you to show off your initiative, intuition, and results from whatever you’ve been working on in the past. Please share your portfolio of work. Tell us what inspires you. Show us what you’ve been up to, and we will do the same!
Equal Employment Opportunity
Ascension is an EEO/AA employer: M/F/Disabled/Vet. For further information regarding your EEO rights, click on the following link to the “EEO is the Law” poster:
Please note that Ascension will make an offer of employment only to individuals who have applied for a position using our official application. Be on alert for possible fraudulent offers of employment. Ascension will not solicit money or banking information from applicants.
Ascension participates in the Electronic Employment Verification Program. Please click the E-Verify link below for more information.