Accion is a global nonprofit committed to creating a financially inclusive world, with a pioneering legacy in microfinance and fintech impact investing. We catalyze financial service providers to deliver high-quality, affordable solutions at scale for the three billion people who are left out of — or poorly served by — the financial sector. For more than 50 years, Accion has helped tens of millions of people through our work with more than 110 partners in 50 countries.
We seek a Communications Specialist – Media to work across the communications team, with Accion’s diverse set of staff located around the world, and with external partners to raise Accion’s profile in the fields of impact investing, financial inclusion, and fintech through earned media engagement and public relations activities. Playing a key role in the execution of Accion’s broader communications strategy, s/he plans and coordinates the dissemination of the organization’s announcements; manages earned media engagement activities; builds and maintains relationships with reporters; supports public relations activities; and works alongside communicators and leadership from Accion’s partners to align and support their efforts.
The ideal candidate brings 5-7 years of full-time professional experience, including several years of experience working in strategic communications and media relations. She or he is eager to play a key role in elevating the public profile of a global organization focused on startups, financial technology, and/or international development.
The role is based in Washington, DC with occasional travel and reports to Accion’s Senior Director of Engagement.
Cross-team communications activities (20%)
- Work across the communications team to develop strategic plans for the rollout of investment announcements, partnerships, knowledge product releases, and other organizational news.
- Align efforts with external partners.
- Manage the dissemination of Accion’s announcements.
- Identify and leverage follow-up engagement opportunities.
- Liaise with internal teams and external partners to maintain announcement pipeline.
- Manage projects and evaluate and report results, offering recommendations for improvements.
Earned media activities (60%)
- Support the development of Accion’s earned media strategy.
- Identify and leverage earned media engagement opportunities.
- Identify earned media opportunities, develop engagement plans, pitch media, and support Director of Engagement and Chief Communications Officer in their media outreach.
- Develop and maintain relationships with global elite, in-market, and trade reporters to promote the visibility of Accion’s work.
- Draft and coordinate review of press releases and related materials.
- Provide strategic guidance and talking points to prepare spokespeople for media interviews; research and coordinate media opportunities.
- Support and participate in media trainings.
- Work collaboratively and creatively with the executive communications and digital content teams to develop timely messaging that is credible and compelling to media.
- Monitor media coverage of Accion and its affiliated programs. Compile weekly reports summarizing media coverage of Accion and our industry. Compile/distribute topic-specific monitoring reports as needed.
- Track Accion’s media engagement activities to inform future plans.
Additional public relations activities (10%)
- Coordinate Accion’s efforts to secure visibility for our work in support of our organizational objectives.
- Support additional public relations activities as needed .
Management and administrative activities (10%)
- Manage media and engagement-related contracts and subscriptions; liaise with vendors.
- Lead communications team reporting on public engagement opportunities to management team and board of directors.
- Track KPIs for growing Accion’s reach and engagement.
- Other management and administrative activities, as needed.
The ideal candidate has substantial and progressive, first-hand experience in communications, including multiple years of media relations experience. S/he has an understanding of today’s digital media landscape and a passion for social good. She or he must possess excellent written and oral communication skills and have the collegiality and interpersonal skills necessary to work closely with internal program teams, Accion’s senior leadership, and both communications counterparts and leadership of our external partners across various global markets. The ideal candidate brings an awareness – or at least an interest in – of topics relevant to our work, such as fintech, financial inclusion, SDGs/development, and impact investing. Specifically:
- Bachelor’s degree, Master's preferred
- Generally 5-7 years of full-time professional work experience with increasing levels of responsibility in the area of strategic communications.
- Demonstrated success in building and maintaining relationships with media to promote visibility of his/her organization/company.
- Digital and social media acumen and an understanding of today’s digitally-driven media landscape.
- Ability to manage complex projects on time and within budget.
- Strong writing and editing skills.
- Spanish fluency strongly preferred.
- Experience working with media in Latin America, southeast Asia, and/or sub-Saharan Africa a plus.
- Agency experience a plus.
- Interested in our mission and working globally.
- Willingness to embody our values of excellence, respect and passion for social change.
- Excellence: Accion staff should always put forth their best effort in all activities, strive for high quality of collective and individual performance; and demonstrate honesty and integrity at all times while in the workplace and while working on behalf of the organization.
- Respect: Accion staff should value one another’s roles and responsibilities as much as their own, be encouraging, and value the diverse and unique perspectives of colleagues. They should honor obligations and commitments to each other and to external partners.
- Passion for Social Change: Accion staff should be committed to making a difference in the lives of those less fortunate, value the greater good of the organization over personal gain, and promote a productive workplace by acknowledging the accomplishments of others.