Golden West Telecommunications is hiring a full-time Communications Specialist in Rapid City or Wall, SD.
Are you a natural storyteller? Do you thrive on creativity? Can you take detailed, technical information and present it in an easy-to-understand way?
This position writes and edits editorial, advertising and direct-to-customer copy that builds brand integrity. Creates messaging for all media channels including email, web, social and print. Engages with customers, employees and community representatives as a brand journalist to find stories and gather details. Must have a bachelor’s degree in English, communications, journalism, marketing or related field, plus 3 to 5 years of writing experience.
Golden West offers competitive pay and a generous benefits package including paid time off, retirement plans, and health, dental and disability insurance.
This position is part of the Marketing & Advertising Team and assists the Marketing & Communications Manager in informing and educating community, state and industry leaders about the company’s services, achievements and plans. Writes advertising copy to promote sale of goods and services by presenting information in an appealing, informative, concise and easy to read and understand formats. Directs and writes company newsletters and implements basic public relations strategies. Develops and maintains social media tactics that enhance the company brand.
Essential Job Functions:
- Compose and produce documents such as press releases, newsletters, letters of response and correspondence for other departments. Also prepare press releases, notices, annual report information and other reports for the Annual Meeting of the membership.
- Help plan and implement organization's public relations events, strategies, policies, and procedures. Work with marketing and advertising to coordinate public relations activities revolving around promotions and sales.
- Develop ideas and opportunities for feature articles, interviews, presentations, and other public relations activities that promote positive brand awareness for the company and its products and/or services.
- Develop contacts and relationships with media representatives to create opportunities for keeping the company and its products or services at the forefront of the public and the trade industry.
- Communicate with internal and external customers and clients for the best possible product presentation.
- Develop, with the guidance of management, various social media strategies that engage customers in an honest and effective manner.
- Observe products in use, examine them, and use them to gain full understanding of benefits.
- Attend meetings related to product development and marketing to understand product and process.
- Maintain accurate information in product files.
- Meet multiple schedule deadlines on time.
- Organize workload for efficient time management.
- Review copy using checklist and format copy according to department style guide.
- Including checking questionable details. Proofread and edit as necessary.
- Assist management staff with presentations and preparation of articles for publication and assist other colleagues where necessary.
- Observe and follow laws governing copy such as registered and trademarked symbols, copyrights, country of origin and material construction.
- Perform various administrative duties as needed.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to write for a variety of media and audiences.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret all forms of information.
- Ability to conform writing to prescribed styles and formats.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to accept and learn from constructive criticism.
- Must be organized with attention to detail.
- Must be to work within a team structure and independently without continual supervision.
- Must demonstrate tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
- Must possess strong problem-solving skills.
- Advanced knowledge of PC computers.
- Knowledge of desktop publishing programs.
- Excellent knowledge of MS Word.
- Internet and e-commerce knowledge.
Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, Advertising, Marketing or related field of study. Require a minimum of 3-5 years writing experience in any of the above fields. Prefer candidate with print, broadcast and social media experience.
Certifications, Licenses, Registrations:
Must have, or be able to obtain, and maintain a valid South Dakota driver’s license, have an excellent driving record and be insurable under the Company’s policy carrier.
Other Qualifications and/or Credentials:
Must be able to read computer screen and various reports.
Must be able to hear well enough
Must be able to write, type, and use phone system.
Good working conditions with the absence of disagreeable conditions. Climate controlled building with adequate lighting and space. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential duties satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.