At Zymergen, experts in diverse disciplines work together to solve previously unsolvable problems. Our People Team’s objective is to build a culture that supports collaboration, learning, and innovation, allowing us to attract, develop, and challenge amazing people. We embrace the cycle of continuous improvement in our growing company, balancing today’s needs with the future we aspire to build, and learning as we go along.
Reporting to the VP of People Operations, the Compensation and Benefits Manager/Senior Manager will guide Zymergen’s benefit offerings and compensation philosophy and practices as the company continues to grow and mature. You will work with Zymergen's leaders to understand the company's strategy, goals, and operating parameters, and will apply knowledge and research about market practices to design and implement compensation programs, including short- and long-term compensation, cash and equity compensation, and broad-based as well as executive compensation. You will work with the CPO to secure approval for compensation programs and to administer ongoing programs. You will act as primary administer for our employee insurance, pension and savings plans and works with insurance brokers and plan carriers, consultants and vendors to ensure we are competitive and compliant in benefit offerings.
- Lead and manage the administration of US-based company sponsored health, welfare and retirement plans.
- Revamp and deliver a comprehensive, engaging Employee Wellness program.
- Partner with benefits broker to assess and analyze current trends and performance of our company benefit plans; provide regular reporting and strategic recommendations based on company and employee requirements along with fiscal drivers.
- Develop education campaigns for staff, ensuring all employees are getting the most out of their company-sponsored programs.
- Oversee benefit system administration processes to ensure data integrity across multiple systems and providers.
- Manage 3rd party LOA provider.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of current employment law and HR best practices in order to interpret applicability with current internal and external staff, locations and company policies.
- Drive the planning, vision, development and compliance of competitive benefit & compensation programs for our US-based employees.
- Provide guidance and recommendations to Business Partners and Managers around job analysis, job descriptions and appropriate compensation benchmarking, including ad-hoc reporting as required.
- Participate in external compensation and trend surveys for relevant geographies.
- Lead development of salary ranges based on external market data (Radford).
- Assist in the delivery of Company’s semi-annual compensation review process (via Workday)
- Partner with the HR and recruiting teams to deliver competitive hiring & transfer best practices while supporting internal equity.
- Track and measure compensation related metrics. Provide regular analysis related to market trends on compensation practices to the company Board of Directors.
- Partner with the HR team to design, develop and maintain job structures and types for the company.
- Provide analysis and guidance in support of maintaining internal and external pay equity data and benchmarking of total compensation.
- Participate in evaluation and reconfiguration of HRIS tool (Workday), including testing and delivery of feedback to technical teams.
- Ensure company policies and protocols are in compliance with relevant regulations, examples: ERISA, ACA-related, HIPPA, records management, etc.
- Overall accountability for timely submission and accuracy with ACA compliance and reporting activities.
- Assist in onboarding (benefit education) for new-hires as needed. Continually improve tools and materials.
- Contribute to a culture of openly giving and receiving feedback.
- Be an effective problem-solver and extremely solution-driven.
- Generally support and foster an HR “culture of excellence”
- Supervise relevant audits and discrimination testing.
- Provide off-cycle pay management support to HR business partners and managers as needed.
- 5 - 7 years of progressive experience as owner of experience for benefits and compensation in growing company
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively with a broad range of individuals and groups, including the Executive Leadership.
- Ability to move through ambiguity, taking action in order to make progress and learn, and making improvements based on new information.
- Ability to use data and analysis to understand the current benefit and compensation offerings, develop recommendations, and communicate with and influence decision-makers.
- Experience with taking designated programs all the way from idea through implementation, including managing through bumps along the way.
- Experience in developing and implementing compensation programs for pre-public companies, including equity compensation.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality and handle issues of a sensitive nature with tact and discretion.
- Experience in the life sciences is not required; however, intellectual curiosity is essential.
- CBP and/or CCP (preferred)
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. Zymergen may agree to sponsor an individual for an employment visa now or in the future if there is a shortage of individuals with particular skills for this job.
Founded in 2013 and based in the San Francisco Bay Area, Zymergen is a technology company unlocking the power of biology. We deliver better economics for products made from biology that are used across industries, bring new products to market faster, and develop novel products. Our proprietary platform uses robots and machine learning to engineer microbes faster, more predictably, and to a level of performance previously unattainable. These microbes, and the products they produce, have broad applications across industries such as chemicals and materials, agriculture, and healthcare. For more information visit www.zymergen.com.