The Compliance Team is an essential component of Funding Circle’s second line of risk framework. We advise and challenge the Business Teams with respect to compliance with regulatory requirements and Funding Circle policies, and we monitor and test the Business Teams adherence to those requirements and policies to provide assurance to senior management and the Board of Directors.
Your role as a seasoned, experienced compliance professional with a full understanding of compliance principles, practices and standards will be to work closely with your Compliance and Business Team colleagues to fully deploy the compliance plan in the US. You will generally be able to handle day to day work independently and need only general instructions on new assignments. Your reporting will provide the Legal and Compliance Leadership Team and Senior Business Management with a clear picture of how the business is complying with its obligations, identify areas for development and make constructive recommendations for improvement.
You will learn about our innovative, global organization by being based in Denver reporting into the Compliance Manager in San Francisco and collaborating with your Compliance Team colleagues based in the other Funding Circle offices in San Francisco, London, Berlin and Amsterdam.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Provide advice to Business Teams and management on key compliance themes and issues, including those identified by Compliance Monitoring.
- Participate as an effective member of cross-functional teams addressing business processes, new regulatory requirements, or other matters that require Compliance advice.
- Review and approve marketing materials, business standards and other compliance related materials.
- Develop and maintain compliance policies, standards and training materials, including those that support new products and processes.
- Develop and/or maintain ad hoc and standard reports to Compliance and Business Team Management and Funding Circle risk committees,
- Maintain an excellent technical knowledge of relevant regulations, keeping up to date with new developments and the latest regulatory position.
- Lead aspects of periodic review and update the compliance risk assessment in line with Funding Circle’s Enterprise Risk Management Framework.
- As requested, and as directed, organize and undertake risk-based compliance monitoring activities efficiently and to a high professional standard, including sample testing and fieldwork as required, keeping relevant parties informed of progress. Maintain well-organized records of review work and testing undertaken, and of progress against the overall compliance monitoring program. Apply vigilance, inquisitiveness, good judgment and common sense in all monitoring activities.
- Keep management and the compliance team informed and updated with progress. Ensure monitoring findings are recorded in appropriate systems and follow-up with the first line and management on the resolution and closure of open issues.
- Ensure that risk areas identified during the monitoring program are documented and managed and that risks are escalated to the relevant Individuals.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders within the business. Attend key business meetings. Where necessary, negotiate and influence to ensure compliance.
- Participate in strategic projects and initiatives with other legal and compliance professionals relating to the business.
- Carry out ad hoc work as directed by the Compliance Manager or Chief Compliance Officer.
Required Skills & Experience:
- Minimum of 5 years Compliance (ideally Financial Services) experience. Anti-Money Laundering and experience of operating in multi-jurisdictional or complex environments would be an advantage.
- Practical understanding of regulations that affect Peer to Peer Lending platforms would be advantageous.
- Able to demonstrate working knowledge of Financial Services regulation.
- Practical knowledge of risk management, monitoring and audit good practices.
- Great communicator - strong oral and written communications skills and an ability to influence and cooperate
- Curious – always seek to understand the root cause of issue
- Entrepreneurial/self-starter – you may need to work independently to deliver significant volumes of work
- and practical approach to challenging issues with an ability to remain objective and independent
- Dynamic – you will be ambitious and able to adapt to changing circumstances
- Determined – you will understand and overcome obstacles
- Identification with our mission: 'To Build a Better Financial World'
- Alignment with our core values: Think Smart, Make It Happen, Be Open, Stand Together, Live the Adventure
At Funding Circle there’s a mission that drives everything we do. Around the world, we want to help small businesses get the finance they need to thrive, creating thousands of jobs as they drive the economy forward currently lending over £5 Billion a year.
With teams in London, San Francisco, Denver, Amsterdam and Berlin, we’re fusing finance and tech to create new opportunities for those who want to achieve more.
At Funding Circle, we celebrate and support the differences that make you, you. We’re proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and affirmative action employer. We truly believe that diversity makes us better.