Computer Systems Engineer
The George Mason University, Information Technology Services (ITS) – located on the Fairfax, Va., campus—invites applications for a Computer Systems Engineer position within the Enterprise Infrastructure Services, Cloud, Compute and Storage Operations team. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason's academic and culturally inclusive environment.
- Quickly understand new systems, services, applications and technologies, analyze their place in the market and industry, and manage their adoption into university's enterprise technology portfolio;
- Versed in compute, storage, system virtualization, and cloud technologies;
- Key member of the technical team responsible for enterprise system engineering;
- The team's primary focus is building and deploying new solutions for internal customers, including the research community, from the university's enterprise technology portfolio;
- As a secondary function, the team also provides higher tier incident response in support of IT operations.
- Bachelor's degree in a technical discipline or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Expert knowledge of Linux server operating system;
- Expert knowledge of system virtualization, hypervisor, and orchestration technologies;
- Familiarity with networking technologies and concepts;
- Familiarity with scripting or programming;
- Experience leading an information technology implementation project;
- Significant experience in a systems administration/engineering role, providing support in a multi-user enterprise and research environment;
- Experience providing customer technical support;
- Must be eligible to work in secure computing environments including International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and Controlled Unclassified Information (CUI).
- Working knowledge of high-performance computing cluster technologies, both hardware and software, high-speed interconnects like InfiniBand and parallel programming using message passing interface (MPI);
- Experience with batch schedulers such as SLURM;
- Expert knowledge of high-performance storage systems;
- Working knowledge of high-performance parallel file systems;
- Knowledge of system performance testing methods and tools;
- Familiar with Windows Server operating system;
- Working knowledge in deploying and administering OpenStack;
- Red Hat or other Linux System Administration Certifications;
- Experience providing technical consulting services to internal or external customers;
- Significant experience building scripts or programs to automate system/network maintenance and monitoring tasks;
- Significant experience in a systems architect/design role.
Salary is commensurate with education and experience.
George Mason University is a great place to work where employees are given an opportunity to develop skills and expand horizons. We have tuition waivers; telecommuting (typically one day a week) and flextime schedules; facilities that will meet your physical fitness needs; and the campus environment is dynamic and ethnically and culturally diverse.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position 01814z at https://jobs.gmu.edu ; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three (3) professional references. References must include name, email address and phone number.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.