Arlington County's Department of Community Planning, Housing and Development (CPHD) is seeking a Building Inspector to join their IAS-accredited, award-winning Inspection Services Division. The Inspection Services Division is responsible for working with Arlington County citizens and developers to build and maintain property throughout the County. The employee ensures that all phases of building construction are completed in conformance with codes, ordinances, and approved plans and specifications. Inspectors in this position use personal computers and/or mobile devices to record the results and status of inspections, as well as to prepare letters and written notices of violation. Once hired, the employee will receive training on materials, methodology, and code requirements for residential and commercial high-rise inspections.
Specific duties include:
- Performing inspections at various stages of residential and commercial construction in compliance with statewide building codes, including issuing notices of violation, and identifying and recommending solutions;
- Communicating with contractors, developers, builders, and homeowners to explain applicable codes and legal requirements;
- Reviewing and interpreting construction plans and blueprints;
- Maintaining knowledge of and researching applicable State, County, and local codes, and applying that knowledge; and
- Performing damage assessments.
The successful candidate in this position is familiar with State, County, and/or local building codes, has excellent communication skills, thrives in a fast-paced environment and is able to work with a wide variety of people to identify and resolve problems.
Job Type: Full-Time
Location: 2100 Clarendon Blvd., Arlington *METRO-accessible*, Virginia
Agency: Community Planning, Housing and Development