COVID-19 Precaution: Virtual Interviews
Our commitment to hiring the best talent in the industry and helping them thrive professionally is stronger than ever. Because the health of our employees and candidates is a top priority, we will be conducting our hiring process virtually and conducting interviews via phone or video until further notice. We will provide candidates selected for interviews with all the required instructions. Thank you for your interest in Sargent & Lundy.
Sargent & Lundy is one of the most experienced full-service architect-engineering firms in the world. Founded in 1891, the firm is a global leader in power and energy with expertise in grid modernization, renewable energy, energy storage, nuclear power, and fossil fuels. Sargent & Lundy delivers comprehensive project services—from consulting, design and implementation to construction management, commissioning and operations/maintenance—with an emphasis on quality and safety. The firm serves public and private sector clients in the power and energy, gas distribution, industrial, and government sectors.
Sargent & Lundy's Core ValuesEvery decision we make is guided by our core values. By upholding these six principles, we support our clients, employees, and community. They are the compass we follow as we continue to grow our business and lead the industry.
- Quality – We provide high-quality deliverables and services through an uncompromising focus on peer review, safety, and continuous improvement.
- Accountability – Our actions demonstrate the highest levels of professionalism, integrity, and respect.
- Our People – We value diverse perspectives, encourage professional growth, and are committed to providing a work community where people thrive. Our work is challenging but rewarding.
- Our Clients – We deliver value and exceed our clients’ expectations through outstanding customer service, personal accessibility, and clear communication.
- Innovation – Since 1891, we have invested in the people, training, tools, and technology needed to quickly adapt in a constantly changing world.
- Meaningful Impact – We make a positive impact in the communities where we work and live.
- Analyze project documentation in order to scope, organize, and deliver equipment, material, and labor cost estimates; Focus is on preparation of estimates in power generating facilities, industrial facilities, transmission lines, and substations; Cost estimates range from conceptual installed costs to detailed firm price bases for engineering, material, equipment, construction, and start-up
- Prepare cash flow, escalation, and interest during construction calculations for estimates
- Perform risk analysis/ range estimating for the purpose of establishing cost contingency
- Prepare and develop bills of material from design engineering drawings
- Consult with clients, vendors, engineering and construction personnel and organizations, to discuss and formulate estimates and resolve issues
- Coordinate information flow and schedules with project team members, in order to complete estimates on time and within budget
- Be able to perform plant walkdowns
- Prepare, supply, and continuously update the historical cost and quantity database of material, equipment, supplier, contractor and subcontractor pricing
We do not sponsor employees for work authorization in the U.S. for this position.
Essential skills and experience:
- 5 or more years of experience in either of the following areas (a preferred blend):
- Preparing cost estimates for fossil or nuclear power plants, heavy industrial plants, and/or substations and transmission lines
- Construction experience (preferably civil or electrical) as the field engineer for fossil or nuclear plants, heavy industrial plants, and substations and transmission lines
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Experience with cost estimating tools and database applications
- Understanding of the following basic engineering drawings: General Arrangement, Single Line, and P&ID
- Knowledge of resources for estimating craft labor rates, man-hours, and labor productivity
- Knowledge of resources for commodity pricing
- Knowledge of resources for construction equipment rentals
- Intermediate skills in Word, Excel, Access
- Verbal and written communication skills
Valued but not required skills and experience:
- Experience using cost estimating software with a strong preference for Sage Timberline
- Experience in reviewing and assessing the quality and accuracy of estimates created by others
- Experience with guiding others in the development and utilization of cost estimating tools & database applications
- Project Scheduling experience a plus
- Power plant start-up experience a plus
- BS from an ABET Engineering Accreditation Commission-approved program
- Experience with construction estimating software such as Hard Dollar, ConEst, WinEst, Cleopatra
Sargent & Lundy is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any protected status as defined by law.