The Facility Services Department is responsible for the operations and maintenance of a complex in support of the research mission. It also furnishes the design, engineering, and construction needs of the complex, addressing its ever-changing program requirements. The department's overarching goal is to provide prompt, quality service in a wide spectrum of responsibilities in compliance with state and federal codes, and manage many services that impact the workplace quality of life for the complex population.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
The Construction Estimator will develop and maintain project budget estimates, which will support decision-making as to project affordability during planning.
• Provide owner oriented estimates-including design costs, construction costs, construction markups, soft costs, and suggested contingencies- by analyzing, performing takeoffs, and pricing anticipated construction activities based on provided assessments, sketches, plans, and specifications.
• Maintain databases related to construction costs such as project historical costs, production rates, labor rates, material rates, and vendor lists.
• Work with customers, project managers and engineers to establish the appropriate project budgets during pre-construction.
• Work with design teams to define project scope, risk, cost, and schedule impacts on their design.
• Manage outside estimating consulting firms by procuring bids to perform estimates, coordinating the transfer of information between project management and the estimating firm, reviewing the received construction estimates, and integrating the construction estimate into the total project estimate.
• Select appropriate cost estimating methodologies for each cost project, as well as the elapsed time required to perform each detail of the work. Ensure quality data collection techniques are established for reporting.
• Assist project teams in reviewing change orders, value engineering studies, and constructability reviews.
• Assist Project Managers to review contractor construction schedules and create a baseline schedule for construction projects.
• Work with project controls team and project management to assist with the budgeting and cost controls functions.
• Maintain estimate compliance with financial services department (F$D) and the U.S. Air Force (USAF)
• Aid in the preparation of program-level executive summary reports for review by the Directors Office.
• Able to work under pressure, especially when facing deadlines. Accuracy is paramount.
• Oversee and manage the development of contracts for external estimate consulting firms for estimating service. Set required methodologies and standards to follow.
• Oversee the development of a complete project costs summary, including construction cost, A&E cost, soft-costs and any other costs that may affect the project, as well as provide estimates internally for the project management staff.
• Analyze and interpret architectural and engineering plans to obtain a thorough understanding of a proposed project.
• Identify the risk level associated with the estimates.
• Have thorough knowledge and understanding of design build projects, Term Contract, Lump Sum, GMP, and Cost Plus fee contracting.
• Responsible for estimating data maintenance and estimating software.
• Develop SF & typical assemblies’ benchmarks to test order of magnitude of proposed projects by reviewing/researching historical data (payment applications, subcontracts, etc.).
• Compile summary reports/presentation to develop guidelines and procedures for future estimates.
• Participate in internal preconstruction meetings with design & operations departments utilizing the benchmarks to develop what if scenarios and strategies for best practices on future projects.
• Develop benchmarking for the capital plan portfolio and additional programs.
• Work with planning and collaborate in the development of the annual department capital renewal and investment budget strategy.
• Operations/Commissioning interface. Manage the continuous interaction with the review and scoping of the project development during estimating.
• Provide oversight to change order review management.
• Establish good communications and respectful relationships with internal and external clients. Work with clients from project inception to project completion to ensure customer satisfaction.
• Must be a U.S. citizen with the ability to obtain and maintain a secret clearance
• BS plus 3-5 years minimum construction estimating experience. Complex / Office renovation estimating experience preferred.
• Excellent communication, influencing, collaboration, problem solving and analytical skills
• Knowledge of and ability to use databases, Microsoft office applications (i.e. Words, Excel, PowerPoint, MSProject, and Outlook)
• The position requires strong verbal, written and presentation communication skills.
• Must be self-motivated; possess excellent organizational and time management skills
• Must have proven ability to work on several projects simultaneously.
• Active Secret Clearance
WORKING LOCATIONS & ADDITIONAL INFO
• Location: Lexington, MA
• Travel: Non-Anticipated
• Employment Status: Full-Time Employee with full benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision, STD, LTD, PTO, Retirement)
• Other: All candidates must also successfully pass a Commercial Background Investigation (CBI).
This job posting sets forth the authorities and responsibilities of this position, which may be changed from time to time as shall be determined.
Odyssey Systems Consulting Group, LTD. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or other factors protected by federal, state, and/or local law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including: recruiting; hiring; placement; promotion; termination; layoff; recall; transfer; leaves of absence; compensation; and training.
- Professional Development
- Gym Memberships
- Maternity/Paternity Paid Leave
- Retirement / Pension Plans
- Paid Holidays
- Paid sick days
- Military Leave
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Life Insurance
- Employee Referral Program
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Vacation/paid time off
- Employee Events
- On Site Cafeteria