Overview / Responsibilities
Are you a recent Construction Management, Engineering or Architecture grad looking for an opportunity to kick start your career on large, complex construction & remediation projects and quickly take on increased leadership responsibility with a global leader in the AEC industry?
Wood Environment & Infrastructure Solutions is seeking a Construction & Remediation Project Engineer with a minimum of 2 years of experience in the construction & remediation industry to support our US Construction Group on large, complex projects.
These projects typically require coordination of a large number of inter-related tasks and multi-disciplinary technical teams and subcontractors. Project size varies from $5M to $100M and may include design management, work plan preparation, decommissioning and demolition, environmental remediation, horizontal and vertical construction.
The ideal candidates will be enthusiastic self-starters with a strong academic record and an interest in working on-site to help execute complex projects. Additional requirements include excellent attention to detail, and strong leadership, communication, team-building, and technical skills.
This position is job-site/project based in Burbank, CA.
Project Engineers (PEs) support Project Managers (PMs) and Superintendents who are responsible for the Financial, Schedule, Safety and Quality performance of their assigned projects. PEs are required to develop a detailed and thorough understanding of the processes or portions of the project to which they are assigned. They are required to be detail oriented and reliable, and to coordinate their work effectively with others on the project team to include Superintendents, foremen, QC managers, Safety officers, project controls staff, project clerks, procurement staff, designers and client representatives.
- Be able to read and interpret complex project plans and specifications
- In collaboration with support staff, prepare drafts of project directories, execution plans, QC plans, site specific safety plans, RFI, Submittal, RFP, Change Order and Deficiency/Re-Work logs, schedules of value (SOV) and other required project documentation
- In collaboration with the project Superintendent, develop site logistics plans
- Assist the PM with the procurement/buy-out process: Conduct scope review and assist with resolution of scope gaps
- Assist with the development, maintenance and distribution of the overall project schedule
- Assist with the proper implementation of the corporate Health, Safety, Security and Environment program, and any applicable project specific policies and procedures. Intervene to resolve safety concerns immediately
- Support the QC process: Review and process submittals; coordinate with designers of record to ensure materials are approved, released and shipped to the project site in accordance with the schedule; ensure received materials comply with project specifications; in collaboration with the PM, Superintendent and QC manager, inspect workmanship and identify and resolve quality discrepancies promptly
- Support the RFI process: Analyze and process RFIs; coordinate with designers to ensure RFIs are answered in a timely manner, and that RFIs are returned to the appropriate subcontractors or trades
- Assist with management of the contract documents: Ensure updates and changes are distributed and posted; ensure project correspondence and electronic document files are up to date and organized; take and archive project photographs
- Assist with the change management process: Identify and communicate scope changes, prepare summary scopes of work and issue RFPs; receive and analyze subcontractor cost proposals and assist the PM in the preparation of change order proposals
- Assist with project financial management: Analyze cost reports, review subcontractor invoices, assist with payment application preparation.
- Lead project status or issue resolution meetings; prepare and distribute meeting agendas and minutes
- Assist with project commissioning, start-up, client occupancy and close-out processes
- Assist with project demobilization and document archiving
- Develop and maintain professional, collaborative relationships with the project team, client reps, designers, subcontractors, regulatory staff and other project stakeholders; work with appropriate stakeholders to address and resolve problems promptly; maintain compliance with the Wood code of ethics
- Communicate clearly and professionally, both orally and in writing
- Keep PMs and Superintendents up to date with respect to schedule, safety and quality issues
- Prepare and submit periodic project reports
Additional Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Capable of providing an effective Quality Assurance / Quality Control role in his/her technical discipline
- Conduct him/herself in a manner compatible with the firm’s professional standards
- Travel to project sites, client, designer or subcontractor offices or facilities, or other remote locations as required
- Other duties as assigned
Skills / Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Construction Management, Engineering, Architecture or a related discipline is required
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in engineering/design, environmental remediation or construction project management or quality control
- Experience on U.S. Federal or large commercial/industrial client projects is desired, but not required
- Experience working with regulatory agencies such as the Environmental Protection Agency, the CA Department of Toxic Substances Control and the LA Department of Water and Power is a plus
- Experience on environmental remediation projects is a plus
- Experience on design-build projects is a plus
- Must pass drug test, background check and must have a satisfactory driving record in accordance with the Company's driving (MVR) policy
- Valid driver’s license and insurable driving record is required
- Eligibility for licensure as a Professional Engineer (PE), Registered Architect (RA), Professional Project Manager (PMP) or similar is preferred
- US Army Corps of Engineers Construction Quality Management (CQM) certification is a plus
- OSHA 30-Hr certification is a plus
- LEED, Design-Build Professional or Certified Healthcare Constructor certifications are a plus
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 60,000 people, with revenues of over $10 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets, including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear, and general industrial sectors. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Construction Project Manager