Job ID: 148366
Michigan Paving and Materials, a vertically integrated CRH company, energetically drives to continually be a leader in our markets in quality construction materials and value added services by employing innovative techniques and customer-centric practices. We believe that our employees are the reason for our success and we focus on their development and advancement opportunities as well as attracting new talent to our organization. We encourage you to learn more by visiting www.michiganpaving.com, www.stoneco.net or our parent company at www.crhamericas.com
This is a seasonal (40-42 weeks per year) full time, exempt position that is responsible for supporting and developing, Michigan Paving & Materials construction crews. Manages all phases of daily construction operations as directed by Region Construction Manager. Responsible for supervising construction projects and paving crews. The direction and scheduling of necessary resources to ensure proper coordination and completion of projects is essential. Safety is a core value of MPM, and as such the Construction Superintendent will hold the safety of his/her workforce in as high regard as production goals. Project progression meetings and look ahead schedules will be necessary components to job readiness and timely completion of projects. It is expected that the majority of the time will be spent in the field coordinating subcontractors and crews, confirming compliance with customer specifications and company goals. The goal of this position would be to insure all crews meet safety, quality, workmanship and production standards while exceeding the customer’s expectations delivering the highest quality project.
Key Responsibilities (Essential Duties and Functions)
The responsibilities and duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Foster open and effective lines of communication between Frontline Leaders and Project Managers.
- Support and develop frontline leaders in all aspects of asphalt paving.
- Oversee and direct operations of paving and construction crews, including personnel, equipment, trucking and materials.
- Ensure job site is in full compliance with federal and state regulations.
- Satisfy customer’s needs, follow up on all complaints and project a positive company image at all times
- Enforce company safety rules and conduct safety meeting, including tool box talks; ensure facilities/job sites are operating in a safe manner.
- Identify and resolve regulatory, safety, personnel, and production problems in a timely and effective manner.
- Complete required daily reporting.
- Maintain proper job records such as weekly schedules and subcontractor planning.
- Maintain strong customer, subcontractor and supplier relationships.
- Must have familiarity with MDOT and heavy highway work.
- Display a professional and courteous attitude to co-workers, supervisors, and the general public at all times.
- Must be willing to travel and work away from home when required.
- Must be willing to work nights and weekends when necessary.
- Report to the assigned job site ready to begin work at the designated start time.
- Strict adherence to safety requirements and procedures.
- Strict adherence to MPM policies and procedures.
- Willingness to work in a team environment and assist co-workers or supervisors with other duties as required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Minimum high school diploma or general education degree (GED) required.
- Minimum 5 years of experience on road construction projects, paving experience a plus.
- Good communication skills.
- Good computer knowledge.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively to customers, subcontractors and employees of the organization.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Strong computer skills.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work in a dynamic and fast paced environment.
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong organizational skills, time management, attention to detail, and documentation skills.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls, reach with hands and arms, and talk to hear.
- The employee is frequently required to climb and balance.
- The employee is occasionally required to sit and stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl.
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move more than 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
- While working the duties of this job, the employee regularly works near moving mechanical parts and in outside weather conditions and is regularly exposed to wet, humid conditions, airborne particles, and extreme heat and cold.
- The employee is regularly exposed to vibration.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually very loud and may require protective equipment.
What CRH Americas Offers You
- A culture that values opportunity for growth, development and internal promotion
- Highly competitive base pay
- Comprehensive medical, dental and disability benefits programs
- Group retirement savings program
- Health and wellness programs
About CRH Americas
CRH Americas has a long and proud heritage as one of North America’s largest corporations. We are a proud reflection of the hundreds of family businesses, local and regional companies and mid to large sized enterprises that together form the CRH Americas family. CRH Americas operates with a decentralized, diversified structure, letting you work in a small company environment while having the career opportunities of a large enterprise.
CRH Americas is a great place to grow! If you’re up for a rewarding challenge, we invite you to take the first step and apply today! Please complete your online application and profile which will be sent directly to the appropriate Hiring Manager. Thank you for your interest in the CRH Americas family!
Michigan Paving and Materials is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.
EOE/Vet/Disability--If you want to know more, please click on this link.