Manages the day-to-day activities, development, implementation and operation of company funded and developer funded construction to ensure service reliability and regulatory compliance and in accordance with Company policies and procedures and all applicable governmental laws and regulations.
- Plan, prepare, and control local construction within established budget limits and schedules. (30%)
- Implement the Capital Investment Management Quality Program, processes and procedures within area of responsibility. (10%)
- Manage capital projects and capital program within area from responsibility from inception to completion, including project justification, project costs, project delivery, and project cost forecasting. (20%)
- Coordinate construction activities with internal asset owners and other internal functions as required and with external contractors, suppliers and consultants. (10%)
- Coordinate construction related activities with rights-of-way owners and other utilities within the public rights-of-way. (10%)
- Obtain or coordinate all required permits, licenses, rights-of-way, etc. required for development and construction within area of responsibility. (10%)
- Supervise the implementation of standards, targets, policies, and plans to ensure the continuing and increasing operational efficiency, effectiveness, and profitability.
- Ensure that operational integrity (quality, environment, reliability, health, safety, security, etc.) is maintained.
- Develop and direct cost-effective solutions to meet customers’ expectations and technical requirements and to encourage best practice and innovation throughout all operational areas.
- Implement effective reporting processes. Provide analysis and support to the Construction Manager with information required for various reports, budgets, and business plans.
- Implement and foster the coaching and development of employees, including idea generation, within respective functional areas.
- Ensure effective people management policies and practices are developed and implemented (e.g., time and attendance, workforce management, etc.) and ensure resources are developed and deployed appropriately.
- Continue to reinforce the importance of developing a diverse workforce.
- Support the Business Development function in the operational analysis pricing and integration of water and wastewater business opportunities in both the regulated and non-regulated markets.
- Work collaboratively with other functional leads to mitigate business risks.
- Implement effective communications at all levels of our operations.
- Provide effective leadership that will enhance our abilities to be flexible to changing business environments.
- Contribute effective communication by listening and providing constructive feedback; supporting the creation of an open and honest work environment; cascading and sharing knowledge and information relevant to other members of the team and colleagues across the business.
- All management are expected to be available and respond, as required, to a Company incident that involves water quality, treatment, environmental impact, customer service, employee safety, etc. As an "on-call" as needed for regularly scheduled periods after normal work Operations position, the Construction Supervisor may be required to be hours and weekends. Department management will establish the need for on-call rotations for supervisory staff. (40%)
- Knowledge of the regulated water/wastewater business within the region and the regulations impacting the business as well as applicable regulations, requirements, and trends within water/wastewater business.
- Knowledge of utility construction and project management practices, contract administration, cost estimating and construction technology.
- Knowledge of company policies and procedures and management theories, practices, and trends, expert knowledge of process and operational areas.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills (e.g., fluency, report writing, developing materials and presentations).
- Strong interpersonal skills (e.g., persuasion, negotiation, listening, cooperation, tact, diplomacy, problem solving, internal consulting, etc.)
- Effective leadership skills and presence and strong team building, collaboration and talent evaluation skills.
- Good quantitative skills (e.g., analytical, technical, problem solving).
- Ability to supervise a geographically diverse and dispersed organization.
Dealing Effectively with Direct Reports
Managing / Measuring Work
Experience / Education
3-5 years’ experience in supervising operational areas and operating units and managing and meeting performance targets.
2 year or 4-year degree in operational discipline, management, or related technical discipline or equivalent preferred.
Outdoor work during seasonal heat and cold, and other adverse weather conditions
- Competencies (from the Water Division Competency Dictionary):
- Analysis and Problem Solving - Analyzes and resolves business issues through the application of critical reasoning skills and general business experience.
- compelling manner, so that others are persuaded to act on its merit.
- People Development - Creates opportunities and builds shared commitment through individual and team development.
- Sharing Knowledge & Expertise - Drives business performance by Teamworking - Is committed to working collaboratively to achieve business goals, building cohesiveness and identity with a work group, and valuing individual perspectives and contributions.
- Delivers Results - Delivers bottom line results through bold, decisive actions, working through risks and uncertainty to create opportunity.
- Continually raises standards and promotes entrepreneurial behavior.
- Influencing - The ability to articulate an objective or idea in a in order to develop capabilities and improve business performance developing and contributing specific technical or professional knowledge, skills and experience. Demonstrates a professional attitude.
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.At American Water, our people are our most valuable asset. When you become part of the American Water team, you enjoy many benefits including: A values-based culture with a vision linked to our purpose. A competitive pay package with pay-for-performance opportunities. Comprehensive health and wellness benefits, including medical, dental, prescription, vision and disability insurance coverage. Flexible spending accounts for health care, child care and elder care. Employee assistance program (EAP). Options to assist employees in saving for retirement (i.e., 401K). Life insurance. Holidays, floating holidays and vacation time. Paid sick time. Discounted Employee Stock Purchase Plan. Employee discount program. Tuition reimbursement. Training and professional development opportunities. Advancement opportunities. Volunteer opportunities. Support for causes and community organizations you care about with matching gifts from our corporate foundation.