Privately held and employee-owned, HR Green is honored to be one of the nation’s longest operating engineering firms. Our Transportation group has been continuing to grow and we are currently seeking a Seasonal or Full Time Construction Technician/ Engineer to support projects in and around the St. Louis, MO office.
In this position, your focus will be on Construction observation on a variety of Transportation projects ranging from DOT type projects along with local roads as well. This position will operate as a lead on these types of projects on site as the Construction Technician and act as a liaison between our engineering team and contractors.
Do you have exposure and experience in Construction Observation and specifically Transportation/ Highway related projects? Are you looking for a role to be able to learn and grow your career to the next level? If so, let’s talk! Get the conversation started by applying today.
Our comprehensive benefits program covers what you need: health/dental/vision insurance, 401K with company match, Paid Time Off, AND what you want: Educational Assistance, annual paid volunteering time, work- life balance scheduling options, and fitness program reimbursements. Professional development is woven into the fabric of HR Green as we offer flexible career path options, in-house training programs, and incentives for professional registrations and public speaking .
HR Green is proud to be an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or other classification protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Please see below for a more detailed Job Description
Responsible for the efficient management, execution, and quality assurance of Transportation construction projects. Evaluates in-place work elements, materials, design details and project related conditions to advise our client on the recommended course of action to successfully complete projects. All assignments require the the use of independent judgment and this individual is considered a subject matter expert in the functional areas of their projects.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Understands and interprets local, state, and/or federal Standard Specifications and Procedures. Answers questions from the contractor and exercises independent judgment when making decisions to apply standards or modify construction plans to fit actual field conditions. Mediates disputes that arise from the interpretation or enforcement of standards.
2. Utilizes subject matter expertise to identify the root cause of construction defects caused by material installation, or site conditions and develops possible solutions. Proactively advises client and contractor on a recommended course of action(s) to resolve construction concerns.
3. Provides counsel to the client and key stakeholders regarding new approaches and to address problems, materials and methods that could contribute to a better project outcome, speed up the construction schedule, mitigate potential future risk, contribute to a safer jobsite, or save money.
4. Acts as a business partner to build and foster ongoing relationships with clients. Leads meetings with the client and contractor to make recommendations and resolve challenges related to the project schedule, plan changes, and additional costs. Mediates project related matters with the contractor on behalf of the client.
5. Responsible for the financial stewardship of the client by interpreting quality control checks, assisting in the verification of the contractor-prepared pay estimate, quantifying pay items on projects and settling accounting disputes with the contractor on behalf of our client. Can recommend withhold of payment from the contractor on work that does not conform to specs. Additionally, be proficient in the use of computers and word processing software (Word, Excel, etc.).
6. Observes and documents the contractor’s work to record that it is being completed in conformance with the plans and specifications, contract documents, and applicable local, state, and/or federal regulatory requirements. Document any extra work or changes during construction. Assist contractor with coordinating acceptance testing and perform quality assurance checks. Advises contractor of the recommended course of action when work or materials are not in compliance with requirements.
7. Analyzes and uses independent discretion and judgment to resolve work problems, including contractor, or public complaints and grievances.
8. Understands, coordinates and supervises the work of subconsultants to enforce the project scope and approve invoices for payment.
9. Coordinates and attends progress meetings with the client, HR Green staff and other key stakeholders.
10. Quickly reacts to complex situations with the client or projects as they arise. Makes on the spot decisions using independent discretion and judgment with coordination of Engineer. Promptly notify the client of any work that does not conform to Contract Documents.
11. Performs material yield checks, verifies tolerances, and elemental thicknesses,M measures and quantifies pay item quantities for payment. Performs basic construction layout work (including bench circuits and providing line and grade for various construction elements).
12. Maintains neat and accurate project documentation (field book notes and measurements, field reports, project binders, etc.) for small projects. May prepares project records for formal audits by funding agencies.
13. Performs other duties as assigned.
• Bachelors Degree or the equivalent combination of education and experience is required. Construction Management degree is preferred.
• 1-5 years of related Construction observation experience working with moderately complex construction plans is preferred. DOT experience with plans and specifications is preferred
• Familiarity with documentation requirements and inspection procedures is preferred.
• Excellent time management, communication, and technical skills are required.
• Must have received training with equipment commonly used in the generation of engineering-related tests and analysis.
• Must possess knowledge of MS Office suite of products.
• Requires regular travel to and from remote worksites.
Must possess strong technical verbal and technical writing skills, and be able to read technical literature and engineering/construction plans. Must be able to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with internal and external stakeholders.
EXTENT OF AUTHORITY AND REASONING ABILITY
As an extension of the client and engineer, this position is authorized to make significant decisions on their behalf (change plans, specs, quantities, pay items,). They are authorized to exercise a high degree of discretion when working with the client, contractor and public. Can authorize work stoppages under certain circumstances, recommend refuse payment to contractors and alter the contractor's schedule upon approval from the client.
RELATIONSHIP TO OTHERS
The position reports directly to the Group Manager with the day-to-day direction of Project Engineers, Project Managers or other staff for assigned projects.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES
The employee must be capable of driving/operating a motor vehicle for company business, and maintain a valid driver’s license in the state of residence.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to work in extreme weather conditions (heat, cold, rain) for extended periods of time and stand for 8 to 12 hours per day. This work requires standing on uneven terrain. Employees must also be able to and lift and move a minimum of 30 lbs. sit, walk, talk, hear, and reach with hands or arms. Hand eye coordination is necessary to operate computers and other office equipment as required. The employee is also required to kneel, crouch, and bend.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.