Construction Technology Lab Assistant
Job Code: 1232
Department: Construction Technology
Division: Career and Technical Education
Reports to: Dean of Career and Technical Education
Positions Supervised: None
Location: Technical Education Center
Kansas City Kansas Community College (KCKCC) is currently searching for a Lab Assistant who shall work with and assist the Construction Technology Instructors and students.
- Provide guidance and instruction to Construction Technology students in the performance of specific skillsets and tasks
- Observe and document student performance of tasks assigned by Construction Technology instructors
- Supervise students in classroom, lab setting, and off-site activities
- Ensure safety practices are followed by students
- Follow required pollution prevention procedures in the handling of chemicals and waste products
- Maintain records of repair orders for proper accountability of parts and materials
- Maintain control of college-owned specialty tools for use by students
- Enforcing all rules and regulations, per the college’s guidelines and other enforcement agencies that govern student practices of KCKCC
- Responsible for the transportation of students during field trips, industry events, job sites and other events per the College’s policies and guidelines
- Must have the ability to work with individuals of various backgrounds and abilities
- Performing other duties as assigned by the respective instructor and dean
Minimum Qualifications and/or Education
- High school diploma/ GED equivalent
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience in residential Construction, Carpentry or a closely related field
- Experience with basic framing, electrical, plumbing, roofing and concrete training
Preferred Qualifications and/or Education
- Certificate in Construction, Carpentry or a closely related field. Associate degree or higher
- Industry credentials including OSHA
- Ladder Safety training certification
- Evidence of knowledge on construction mathematics and able to teach math
- Evidence of basic computer skills using programs such as Word and Excel
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, talk, hear, walk, sit, and occasionally push or lift items up to 50 lbs. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
29 hours or less per week, during regular hours of Monday – Friday, 7:30 am – 3:00 pm. Must be able to work a variable schedule/hour to meet operational needs. May require evening and weekend hours.
Pay grade level: N/A
Employee category: Staff
Position Type: Part time
FLSA status: Non-exempt
- Read the job announcement carefully noting the minimum qualifications and required information. Note that information contained in your application materials will be used to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the position. Make sure you complete/submit all the documents listed as required.
- During the application process, unofficial transcripts may be submitted. However, please note that upon selection for hire, you will be required to submit official transcripts.
- Ensure that your transcripts show that a degree was awarded or conferred if you are stating that it is your highest level of education completed. If you certify your level of education and it cannot be verified from your transcript(s), your application may not be referred to the selection committee.
- Foreign degrees are acceptable provided they have been translated and/or shown to have equivalency to a United States: Associate, Bachelor, Master, or Doctorate level degree.
- Documentation verifying completion of a degree, course work within a discipline, or other educational criteria should be electronically attached (uploaded) to your application.
- Three (3) professional references with phone number and email addresses are required.
- A college selection committee is responsible for application review and interviews. The final candidate(s) selected to be hired will be made by the hiring manager.
- Successful completion of a background check on all persons recommended for employment is required Individual hiring departments may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions as part of the applicant selection/hiring process.
***This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor. This job description may be revised upon development of other duties and changes in responsibilities.