This position is located in Austin, TX within the beautiful Great Hills/Arboretum Area
Schedule:This position requires flexibility to work up to 40 hours per week during the business hours between 7:00am-7:00pm Monday through Friday. In addition, the position also requires the ability to work from 9:00am-3:30pm on select Saturdays each month.
UHCU is looking for a skilled Consumer Loan Underwriter who is passionate about creating an exceptional lending experience to our members by providing appropriate decisions on all consumer loan requests to include auto loans, motorcycle loans, recreational vehicle loans, HELOCS and unsecured loans in a timely and accurate manner.
This is a self-paced position that requires someone with a sense of urgency who is able to work with independent analysis and auto decision parameters while reviewing applications for suitability within UHCU's current lending policies and goals. You will be manually reviewing loan applications to determine the applicant's stability, collateral, willingness to repay, and ability to repay in order to make sound business decisions while contributing to the credit union's loan portfolio.
As a Consumer Loan Underwriter at UHCU you'll get to:
- Work with credit union staff and third party strategic partners to promote the generation of profitable loans across all channels.
- Communicate directly with credit union staff and third party strategic partners, such as indirect dealerships and funders to maintain and grow relationships.
- Review and evaluate information on consumer loan documents to determine if buyer, collateral, and loan conditions meet credit union policy and government rules and regulations.
- Evaluate acceptability of loan for credit union, ensuring required policies are being met.
- Approve or reject loan applications or request additional information, following assigned underwriting guidelines and procedures.
- Utilize the loan origination system to assist in the objective analysis of all financial information to include key ratios, current and historical credit status of loan applicants to approve, deny, or counter decision loan requests based on established lending policy and procedure.
- Maintain awareness of competitor's programs, rates and terms, along with market conditions to ensure strategic edge in "winning" loan.
- Provide detailed information to support requests for additional information or stipulations necessary and required for loan fulfillment. Once collected, review all required loan decision support documentation to ensure accuracy, to include calculation of proof of income.
- Monitor all decision related queues, ensuring effective and efficient workflow from initial loan application through loan fulfillment or denial.
- Work closely with sales staff ensuring information exchanges remain positive and timely, educating sales staff and dealer partners on structuring deals for approval and what UHCU is prepared to underwrite.
- Protect Credit Union's reputation by working professionally and respectfully with loan applicants and related third parties such as dealership personnel. Ensure that applicants are treated in a fair, legal, and consistent manner.
- Ensure all applicable notices, disclosures and decision letters are generated within the required timeframe.
What you will need to succeed:
- Ability to work independently and with a sense of urgency to evaluate applicant(s), credit data, and key ratios to make credit decisions.
- Recognize market conditions to determine acceptable deviations of established loan rates and terms.
- Ability to translate policy and guidelines into active decisions, and communicate policy tactfully.
- Strong analytical skills and decision making ability. Must be able to follow guidelines, recognize exceptions, weigh risk and overcome objections while achieving business objectives.
- Strong negotiating skills.
- Ability to calculate ratios. Ability to calculate proof of income.
- Ability to effectively communicate across diverse groups of people, and communicate unfavorable information in a compassionate and professional manner.
- Proficient computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality and security with sensitive information.
- Must be able to work some evenings and Saturdays as required.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Minimum of 3 years' equivalent work experience in underwriting or 5 years' in a related position such as dealership F&I, loan origination, credit support role or closely related financial industry.
- Must have experience using auto valuation guides, credit report data, credit underwriting software, or loan origination systems.
- Associate or Bachelor degree, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Bi-lingual (English/Spanish) is helpful
- Experience using loan origination systems with a decision engine.
- Manual underwriting experience.
UHCU has been in the community for over 60 years, providing superior, personalized service to our members. Founded in 1957, we are an Austin-based credit union with over $1 Billion in assets, 12 branches located throughout Austin and Tyler, Texas, and approximately 210 employees. Our team members voted us as one of the Austin-American Statesman's Top Workplaces for six consecutive years. UHCU goes above and beyond to cultivate a culture of integrity and innovation. Being part of our credit union means being part of our community.
- Competitive Benefits Package
- 401(k) options (Pre-Tax and/or Roth)
- Generous paid time off (PTO)
- Education Reimbursement Program
Important Note: We take hiring very seriously. Interviewing at UHCU may include phone interviews, as well as 1st & 2nd round interviews. We are unable to follow-up with each and every applicant, but we do our best to run a thorough process for candidates whom we identify as a potential fit. We will be sure to contact you if that is the case!0