First Commerce Credit Union is looking for a Consumer Loan Underwriter. The primary purpose of this position is to assist in fulfilling our Vision to Be Our Member's Financial Partner for Life. This is achieved through delivering Remarkable Member Service as defined by our Service Standards as well as building and maintaining strong member relationships through identification of member's financial needs and effectively recommending appropriate products and services to meet those needs.
Serve as an underwriter of consumer and home equity/second mortgage lending. Responsible for making decisions of all loan overrides, exceptions to loan policy, rate concessions, as well as quality control and compliance. Responsible for reporting relevant departmental metrics (development, production and tracking) including components such as loan overrides, quality control issues, and evaluation of other portfolio trends. Contributes to the success of the credit union by providing prompt, efficient, accurate and friendly service to members, business partners and internal team members.
- Will perform job duties in accordance with policies established by the Board of Directors under the rules and regulations set by the NCUA, CFPB, FCRA, the State of Florida and any applicable State laws for financial centers located in other States.
- Determine and document acceptable compensating factors for approving loan requests and rate concessions beyond the automated system approval within designated lending authority. Consistently apply prudent lending principles as well as exercise sound judgment and decision-making skills.
- Ensure that layered credit risk is managed through structuring loan conditions, (requiring additional collateral, additional co-makers, reducing loan terms, increasing down payments or lowering loan amounts) in credit union loans.
- Consult with Credit Union management as required to provide feedback and to make recommendations on new products, rates, underwriting standards and loan policy changes.
- Provide consultative resources to help members develop a solid credit profile by communicating financial alternatives, flexible rates and payments, and payoffs when necessary.
- Proactively seek out additional lending opportunities and cross sales when evaluating loan requests.
- Complete periodic credit reviews and using that information to cancel or extend credit limits.
- Receive acceptable ratings for loan quality from regulatory examinations.
- Provide high quality and timely service to all internal members, external members and sources of business and serve as a lending coach/mentor to FSO's and FC Managers.
- Performs other related duties as assigned in accordance with First Commerce's policies and procedures.
Education 4-year Baccalaureate degree from an accredited university in finance, business or a related field and/or CUNA Lending Certification or equivalent lending experience.
Experience 3-5 years of loan origination, consumer loan operations, collections, underwriting and/or credit approval experience.
Skills must possess:
- Knowledge of consumer loan products and services.
- Superior communication, interpersonal judgment and negotiation skills.
- Solid analytical mathematical skills.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to include nights and weekends when deemed necessary.
- Ability to work with computers and various software applications.
- Ability to work effectively with all levels of management and staff.
- Ability to provide consistently courteous, positive member service and foster the credit union's core values.
- Thorough knowledge of credit reporting to correctly analyze lending situations.
- Ability to complete in-class and online training as required by law or by the credit union.
- Possess competency and familiarity with Credit Union lending products and services to provide accurate and timely information
- Remain current in all applicable laws and regulations and ensure Fair Credit practices are followed
- Intermediate Microsoft Office Suite skills
Americans with Disability Specifications
Physical demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a team member (employee) to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the team member is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The team member (employee) must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision and distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Integrity/Honesty (Universal): Behaves in an honest, fair, and ethical manner. Shows consistency in words and actions. Models high standards of ethics.
- Social Competence (Universal): The ability to understand and manage own and other emotions. There are five main elements of Social Competence: Self-awareness, Self-regulation, Motivation, Empathy, Social Skills. The ability to interact positively and get along well with others. Social competence is as a set of positive social skills necessary to get along well with others and function constructively in groups. Respects and expresses appreciation for others. Able to work and communicate well with others and listen to others' ideas. Demonstrates context-appropriate behavior that is consistent with social norms. Uses a range of skills or processes aimed at resolving conflict.
- Written Communication (Universal): Writes in a clear, concise, organized, and convincing manner for the intended audience.
- Continual Learning (Universal): Assesses and recognizes own strengths and weaknesses; pursues self-development.
- Creative Entrepreneurship (Leadership): Positions the organization for future success by identifying new opportunities; builds the organization by developing or improving products or services. Takes calculated risks to accomplish organizational objectives. Develops new insights into situations; questions conventional approaches; encourages new ideas and innovations; designs and implements new or cutting-edge programs/processes. Understands and keeps up-to-date on local, national, and international policies and trends that affect the organization and shape stakeholders' views; is aware of the organization's impact on the external environment.
- Developing Others (Leadership): Develops the ability of others to perform and contribute to the organization by providing ongoing feedback and by providing opportunities to learn through formal and informal methods.
- Accountability (Leadership): Holds self and others accountable for measuring high quality, timely and cost-effective results. Determines objectives, sets priorities and delegates work. Accepts responsibility for mistakes. complies with established control systems and rules.
- Customer Service (Leadership): Anticipates and meets the needs of both internal and external customers. Delivers high quality products and services; is committed to continuous improvement.
- Decisiveness (Leadership): Makes well-informed, effective, and timely decisions, even when data are limited, or solutions produce unpleasant consequences; perceives the impact and implications of decisions.
- Problem Solving (Leadership): Identifies and analyzes; weighs relevance and accuracy of information; generates and evaluates alternative solutions; makes recommendations.
- Business Acumen (Leadership): Manages the connections between Five Business Drivers that are essential to every business (cash, profits, assets, growth and people). An understanding of financial metrics and tools that gauge the cost effectiveness of the team. Decision making skills that balance risk and consequences, keep customers happy, and maximize the contribution. Engages team members in non-defensive dialogues that creates an environment where they take the action needed to implement the change initiatives. Empowers team members who participate in the analysis, craft alternatives and fully support implementation of the selected alternative solution. Balance between the emotions of great customer service and the reality of the cost structure. Skills to overcome resistance of team members to change.
- Influencing/Negotiating (Leadership): Persuades others; builds consensus through give and take; gains cooperation.