XQ Institute is the nation’s leading organization dedicated to rethinking the high school experience so that every student graduates ready to succeed in life. We work in communities throughout the country, with individual schools and entire school systems, to help them dream big about what high school could be, turn their innovative ideas into action, and create more rigorous and equitable schools.
We are looking for a Content Marketing Manager who loves writing to help shape XQ’s story and online presence and share it with various audiences across all our digital channels including website, forum, blog, social media, SMS, and email.
Reporting to the Head of Digital and Growth, you’ll join a growing high-collaborative team focused on developing and shaping our digital presence. You will play a meaningful role in setting and driving the content marketing strategies for our campaigns, digital experiences, and products.
Our ideal candidate loves to write long-form and short-form content and has both an eye for simplicity and an ear for the distinctive turn of phrase. The job requires an understanding of content marketing, consumer-centric and data-driven copywriting, SEO, and digital marketing.This candidate is committed to understanding and articulating XQ’s mission and programs and is excited to research and learn about education and topics that tie to XQ’s work.
In a given week, you will write tweets and Instagram posts for our channels, develop a video script, edit blog posts, write a long-form SEO blog, help rename a product feature, interview a changemaker, and use data to plan content that drives brand awareness, converts and engages our community.
- Manage and develop the content marketing strategy for social media (copy, cadence, planning) for digital initiatives informed by XQ’s goals.
- Work closely with the Editorial, Creative, and Communications team to shape our online voice and to develop our editorial and production calendar. You’ll contribute to the creation of high-quality, accurate, and engaging content for educators, students, families, public officials, and the general public.
- Develop and execute culturally relevant content and values-driven integrated marketing campaigns that contribute to the growth and adoption of the brand.
- Create marketing collateral that drives awareness, lead generation, growth, and adoption of the brand, including eBooks, web copy, landing pages, and long-form content like SEO blogs.
- Draft educational and nurturing copy, including email drip campaigns, newsletters, forum, video scripts, infographics, and short-form content such as blog posts.
- Become the key writer for projects across marketing and a go-to-editor to make the content engaging across the company.
- Craft content in many formats, directed to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Define, manage, and report key trends and metrics so you’re making informed decisions.
- Partner with Analytics for qualitative and quantitative insights that inform your work (content, messaging, positioning, etc). You’ll talk to users regularly and you’ll be an advocate for them to help shape product launches and marketing campaigns.
- Develop product positioning and messaging informed by user research, market insights, and product understanding.
- 4+ years of experience in content marketing, copywriting, and/or creating content for digital/social.
- A storyteller and marketer. You bring experience writing across a variety of mediums, including short-form (social, ads) and long-form (white papers, ebooks, long articles), a passion for storytelling, a mastery of grammar, and the ability to adapt to how you communicate to best reach and engage our audience—from educators to students—and differentiate XQ.
- Passionate about education. You care about education, social justice, youth development, and/or community service and engagement. You are excited to learn, research, and get up to speed on what’s happening in education across the country.
- Team player. We’re a collaborative team, and we need someone with positive energy and a willingness to partner with others to accomplish shared goals.
- Ambitious and Organized. You are excited to make an impact at XQ. You thrive in a fast-moving, dynamic, hyper-growth startup environment. You are also someone who is comfortable taking on projects and seeing them through to completion. Someone whom colleagues can count on to work independently.
- Data-driven. You have a proven track record of decision making and problem-solving based on analytics. You like working with data and insights and pair that with your passion for users to generate balanced and thoughtful points of view for how to take our campaigns and products to market.
- Fast-paced. You have a strong desire to work in a lively, rapidly changing environment with a diverse team that often collaborates fluidly across projects. You are flexible and willing to perform other marketing tasks as assigned.
- Experience with SEO writing. You've written high-quality content that meets SEO best practices.
- Either hold a Bachelor's degree or be currently enrolled in a Bachelor's degree program with intent to complete.
- Local to Oakland or the greater Bay Area. While this position will start out location-flexible, you will eventually report to our Oakland office.
- XQ Institute offers competitive benefits and salary for this role.
- Please send a resume, a cover letter, and portfolio of work. In your cover letter, please address why your skills, interests, and experience align with the requirements for this role. Candidates whose cover letters do not address these points will not be considered.
XQ is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. At XQ, promoting, celebrating, and supporting diversity is a core value. Individuals are considered without regard to race, gender, age, sexual orientation, sexual expression, religion, color, veteran status, disability, marital status, or ancestry.