- Position Summary
Applications are being reviewed for the Continuing Education Instructor position for the Continuing Education Department.
Applicants are required to reach out to the Continuing Education department and complete a class proposal form prior to the application process.
Tacoma Community College's Continuing Education department is seeking instructors to teach non-credit classes for adult learners. Instruction will provide students with new arenas for lifelong learning and personal growth.
- Essential Functions
- Plans and organizes instruction using level specific materials and methodologies to include contextualized curriculum materials for adult learners in order to maximize student learning
- Adjusts instructional strategies, when needed, to meet diverse student needs
- Meet as needed with Continuing Education staff to review student/employee progress and instructional needs.
- Learns and implements technology as available to enhance instruction
- Participates in scheduled staff meetings and professional development trainings and activities as requested.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- High School graduate or equivalent.
- Good communication skills.
- Experience teaching, speaking in public, and/or creating and delivering presentations.
- Experience working with adult learners.
Conditions of Employment
- Successfully pass a criminal history background check prior to employment.
- Passion and expertise around a chosen topic.
- Experience teaching individuals from various cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds
- Experience developing curriculum appropriate to adult learners at all levels.
- Commitment to innovative instructional approaches and use of materials.
- Working knowledge of basic computer applications.
- Excellent verbal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Ability to inspire and assist adult learners gain competency in content area.
- Flexibility to adapt teaching to student learning styles.
- Skill in building and maintaining internal/external customer satisfaction.
- Ethics and integrity, and sound professional judgment.
- An appreciation of diversity and the benefits of a commitment to cultural awareness and sensitivity in the workplace.
- Strong interpersonal skills to interact with a diverse population, both within and outside the college.
- Application Process
Complete application packages must include the following:
- Tacoma Community College online application form.
- Completed Class Proposal Form submitted to Continuing Education department.
Terms of Employment
These are part time hourly positions scheduled to work varied hours. The rate of pay is $35.00 - $45.00 per hour, DOE/DOQ. The class schedule will depend on instructor and student schedules and needs. Pay rates vary according to experience. Flexibility in scheduling is required to meet the needs of the department.
Tacoma Community College values diversity and is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Educator
Tacoma Community College provides equal opportunity in education and employment and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, creed, religion, or status as a veteran of war. Prohibited sex discrimination includes sexual harassment (unwelcome sexual conduct of various types). Provides reasonable accommodations for qualified students, employees, and applicants with disabilities in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and Federal Rehabilitation Act. The following persons have been designated to handle inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies: Stephen Smith, Title II and Title IX, 253-566-5050; Dolores Haugen, Section 504 Officer, 253-566-6090. Tacoma Community College is a smoke-free/drug free environment. This recruitment announcement does not reflect the entire job description and can be changed and or modified without notice.Tacoma Community College
6501 S 19th St Bldg. 14, Tacoma WA 98466
Benefits not applicable.
- 01Which best describes your level of education?
02Please describe your experience teaching, speaking in public, and/or creating and delivering presentations.03Do you have experience working with adult learners?
- High School graduate or equivalent
- Some College
- Associates degree from an accredited college or university
- Bachelors degree from an accredited college or university
- Masters degree or higher from an accredited college or university
04Please describe your experience working with adult learners.05Please describe your interest and experience around the chosen topic you've identified on the Class Proposal Form submitted to the Continuing Education department.
See Position Description