Job Description Summary:
The BS/MS Pharmacologist (Contract) is responsible for planning, performing and documenting scientific experiments that contribute to PTC’s research and drug discovery activities. The Associate Scientist I, Pharmacology is also responsible for communicating experimental results to his/her supervisor and the project team.
The incumbent works cross-functionally with internal departments and external resources as part of PTC’s discovery science project teams.
The BS/MS Pharmacologist (Contract) supports adherence to relevant regulatory requirements and company Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) as appropriate.
- Plans, initiates, and executes scientific research and experiments and interprets and communicates results as part of multi-disciplinary team(s) results. This includes, but may not be limited to, experiments in rodents including transgenic model management, pharmacokinetic (PK) studies, pharmacodynamic (PD) studies, xenograft studies, and non-GLP safety studies.
- Investigates the feasibility of applying a wide variety of scientific principles and concepts to research problems.
- Maintains a detailed laboratory notebook.
- Provide technical and scientific input to the project team or research leadership
- Maintains appropriate knowledge of state-of-the-art principles and theories and identifies new project areas or technologies.
- Provides support for in vitro studies as required.
- Abides by all IACUC requirements when working with animals.
- Abides by all safety requirements.
- May supervise the activities of other personnel or assume the role of project leader to lead a team on a special project(s).
- Contributes to general lab needs such as:
- Equipment maintenance.
- Capital equipment purchases.
- Performs other tasks as assigned.
* Minimum level of education and years of relevant work experience.
- BS or MS in a scientific discipline and a minimum of 1 year in-vivo experience in a pharmaceutical, biotechnology or related environment OR equivalent education and experience.
* Special knowledge or skills needed and/or licenses or certificates required.
- Experience handling mice and rats. This includes, but may not be limited to, dosing, blood collection, minor surgery and inject IV.
- Proven scientific writing skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Attention to detail.
- Excellent planning, organization and time management skills including the ability to support and prioritize multiple projects.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and skills.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively, as required, in a fast-paced, matrixed, team environment consisting of internal and external team members.
- Analytical thinker with excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to adapt to changing priorities and deadlines.
*Special knowledge or skills and/or licenses or certificates preferred.
- Experience with Oncology models
* Travel requirements
PTC Therapeutics is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications from all individuals, regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, age, physical characteristics, social origin, disability, religion, family status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, veteran status or any unlawful criterion under applicable law. We are committed to treating all applicants fairly and avoiding discrimination.