Bob Barker Company is America’s leading detention supplier. Transforming and serving the criminal justice system while honoring God in all we do.
Under the direction of the Contract Sales Manager, the Bids Specialist manages formal bids and contracts for a region. Emphasis is on analyzing cost, freight, competition, and preferred profit margin while achieving sales dollars and win rate goals for the Bids team.
- Processes formal bid requests volume for a region with a specific territory.
- They are responsible for the bid from start to finish making sure we are bidding everything we can, meeting the requirements and needs of the customer, while maintaining appropriate margin for the company.
- Bid Specialist will manage multiple formal bids at a time working efficiently and effectively making sure deadlines are met for both the bid and product samples required for the bid.
- Researches purchasing guidelines and procedures for entities in their territory with emphasis on determining threshold breaks.
- Develops relationships with purchasing agents in their territory.
- Responsible for having all awarded contracts and renewals entered and updated properly into Apprise to minimize delay on orders being processed.
- Processes product changes and updates for all contracts in a territory.
- Work with the Senior Bid specialist in their territory to learn bid procedures and product knowledge.
- Compiles and sends forecasting information for new, current, and lost bids to the Inventory Manager and Product Manager(s)
- Follow up on formal bids and obtain bid tabulations
- Completes contract usage reports when required for contracts or requested by customer
- Reviews bid tabulations from their formal bids and analyzes them post mortem to review where we needed to be more or less aggressive and also review how our competition is bidding compared to our product cost
- Searches bid services and customer websites for open bid solicitations for us to bid on
- Reviews contract performance during the contract term and works with the Account Manger to make sure customers are satisfied and utilizing the contracts properly
- Participates in meetings with Senior Bids Specialist, Account Managers and RSMs to review how territory is performing and discuss current state of contracts from both sides
- Researches previous contracts in their territory and reviews what is needed for us to win the contract when it goes back out for bid
Maintains contact with all levels of Sales department including Contract Sales Manager and VP of Sales as appropriate. Communicates with Sales Operations, Customer Service, Buyers, Sourcing Agents, Product Management, Inventory Manager, Marketing, and Finance.
Proactively communicates with customers at all levels including purchasing and warehouse.
BS in a business-related curriculum.
Minimum 1-2 years of contract sales experience.
Related experience in the following areas:
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent time management skills and attention to detail
- Strong teamwork and leadership skills
- Excellent analytical and decision making skills
- Ability to interpret contract terms and conditions