Earthwork & Flood Protection Construction Company
Location: In office in Olivehurst
Ready for a new home with a company that is profitable and can provide long-term stability for your career?
Do you have a strong work ethic, strong job cost accounting experience and a passion for accounting operations?
We have an opportunity for a Controller (job cost accountant) to lead our accounting operations and financial reporting.
Controller – The Job Duties
This role is approximately 90% historian financial accounting and 10% forward-looking financial analysis with heavy emphasis on job cost accounting.
- Hands-on preparation of month-end close including account reconciliations, journal entries and preparation of monthly financial statements
- Supervision and review of staff accountant including accounts payable, accounts receivables, and payroll and serving as back-up to when necessary
- Work directly with Project Managers and VP of Operations to complete billing and invoicing – invoices are currently initiated at the Project Management level – including gathering information about job status, invoices and change orders
- Performance of all construction accounting including monthly work in process (WIP) schedules, job costing, associated revenue recognition and ensure accurate monthly accrued accounts payables in job costing.
- Perform analysis of monthly financial results including communicating variances and reasons for to company owners
- Management and oversight of the company cashflows and cash positions
- Perform financial analysis of periodic evaluation (audit) of company operating costs to identify areas of improvement
- Accounting for equipment including depreciation, contracts, buy/sell agreements and equipment expenses
- Preparation of regulatory filings (ie: payroll, sales and use, property tax, schedules for audit and income tax filing)
- Work with external CPA firm, Banks, Bonding Company, and insurance agents
- Oversee drafting of audited financial statements and tax returns with CPA firm
- Perform duties associated with Human Resources matters including 401k management, periodic evaluation of benefit programs and offerings and liaison for all third-party audits (OSHA, EDD, etc.)
What Does Success Look Like for You as Our Controller?
- You have a passion for the construction industry / experience with job costing
- You understand the ins and outs of all revenue and expenses within the company
- You are reliable and trustworthy and have the respect of the field team, owners and office team as a result of your competency and work ethic
- You are not interested in a “CFO” title - quality and accurate financial reporting is more important to you
Controller – Required Skills, Experience & Character
- Hands-on accountant willing to roll up your sleeves - especially with job costing!
- Attention to detail and “big-picture” understanding of the business and revenue and expense flow
- Ability to interact well with field personnel including supporting Project Managers with billing
- Strong financial statement knowledge, including preparation of financial statements
- Experience with the construction industry in an accounting role (job costing, work-in-process (WIP) schedules)
Controller - Preferred Qualifications (Not Required)
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related field
- Experience with Vista (Viewpoint) accounting software
This position is in-office at the company's location in Olivehurst, CA.
This position includes benefits including medical, dental, vision, discretionary performance-based bonus, 401k retirement plan, company cell phone and paid-time-off. Compensation DOE.
Response to COVID-19:
The wellbeing of our team members is extremely important. This position is located in office and on-site. We have taken every precaution and safety measure to ensure your health and safety including proper social distancing measures.