By clicking "Send," you acknowledge that you have read and agree to our Terms
The Role Reporting to the Advanced Manufacturing Controls Manager and eventually to the Plant Manager, as the Controls Engineering Manager you will be responsible for all aspects of Machine Controls including automation, controls, vision systems, automated guided vehicles and much more. We have most of the software developed, and you will focus your efforts on supporting development of the process tooling and error proofing methods.Quick question for you - click here
While the Detroit plant is not yet open, the plans include a suspension facility and instrument panel facility. As the Plant Controls Manager, you will lead a team of Controls Engineers to keep the automation up to standard. Quick question for you - click here
More specifically, your key areas of responsibility will be to:
Limits of Authority:
- Oversee and maintain Dakkota Corporate standards related to Machine Controls (PLCS).
- Recommend policies and best practices efforts.
- Ensure PLC programs are following state and federal laws, and regulations.
- Oversee and lead plant controls engineering team (approximately 3 direct reports).
- Lead and mentor the general performance and the continual development of the Controls Engineers.
- Develop plans to improve the skills of each person in the department and monitor overall effectiveness.
- Lead the Controls Engineering group on different shifts.
- Lead Controls Engineering to ensure that ALL machine control panels stay clean and up to date.
- Own and maintain all software and licenses related to Controls.
- Lead process audit to validate compliance to the Dakkota standards.
- Ensure Maintenance team is supported and guided to root cause downtime.
- Own, maintain and approve all PLC, HMI, Robot, and Vision programs for new and existing equipment.
- Own, maintain and approve all schematics for new and existing equipment.
- Own, maintain and approve all machine network layouts for new and existing equipment.
- Understand Machine Controls concepts and work to improve corporate standards with Advanced Manufacturing Controls team.
- Oversee standards related to Torque process and programming.
- Oversee standards related to Vision process and programming.
- Oversee standards related to Robotic process and programming.
- Ensure equipment and networks are maintained to allow PLC backups through Asset Centre.
- Support and approve programming changes performed by the controls team.
- Support departmental budget planning related to machine controls and training.
- Support new business quotes, as required.
- Enhance the Launch Readiness process through lessons learned.
- Document all activities as required.
- Adhere to all company guidelines for Emergency Evacuation to ensure employee safety.
- Any additional responsibility deemed necessary by management.
Note: this description is intended to give you a general overview of the position and is not an exhaustive listing of duties and responsibilities.
- Immediately advise direct supervisor of situations that may pose a significant risk to the program, product assurance, facilities and employee safety or customer satisfaction results.
- Initiate actions to prevent the occurrence of any nonconformance relating to product, process & systems.
- Identify and record any problems relating to the product, process or system.
- Initiate, recommend or provide solutions through appropriate channels and verify implementation.
- Control further processing and delivery of nonconforming product until the deficiency is corrected.
- Recommend hardware, software, tools or other items to be used to improve support or operation of Company.
- Approve Business Operating System documentation, as required and related to PLC control documentation.
- Quote / negotiate pricing and timing from vendors for equipment and tooling.
The Requirements To be a strong fit for this opportunity you will have:
We are opening a new plant in Detroit, slated to open in 2020. Meanwhile, in addition to helping ramp up the new facility, you will travel to various plants in Michigan to provide controls engineering support. This will allow you to build contacts among peers, get to know our company, and make an impact. Once the Detroit plant is open, you will focus your efforts there.
- A bachelor's degree in an Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or related discipline or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 5 years of hands-on programming and controls experience in a related field. Experience in a Just-In-Time (JIT) environment is highly preferred.
- Prior experience in Alan Bradley Logic (Rockwell), AB HMI Logic, RS Logic, Visual Basic, Device Net, SQL, Crystal Reports). Quick question for you - click here
- Proficiency with AutoCAD.
- Demonstrated leadership abilities, organizational and communication skills.
- Proficiency in the development and management of process control solutions, from collecting data through the design, configuration, and integration processes.
- Competency in programming and the development / implementation of engineering guidelines and standards.
- Experience with Vision Camera systems (Cognex).
- Experience with Robotic (Fanuc) systems.
- Experience with DC guns (Atlas Copco).
- Good mechanical / technical skills, proficient aptitude with Computer programs.
- Valid driver's license.