Job Number: 192880
Department: Food & Nutrition Patient
Hours: Per Diem/On-call as needed
The Per Diem/On-call Cook I is responsible for preparing food products utilizing basic cooking techniques, standard recipes and plating guidelines; and meeting production schedules in accordance with health, safety and sanitary procedures. This job processes food items and ensures proper utilization, and storage, of food and supplies within the kitchen. Maintains orderliness and cleanliness of equipment, supplies, and work areas throughout the shift. Performs related duties as assigned.
Located in Seattle, WA, Virginia Mason is an internationally recognized leader in the continuous improvement of health care. With an extensive list of awards and distinctions that includes our recognition as Top Hospital of the Decade by The Leapfrog Group, Virginia Mason offers you the opportunity to partner with exceptionally talented peers at every level.
You will contribute to the strength of our Team Medicine approach to collaborative medicine and benefit from the changes enacted through our Virginia Mason Production System, a model that has transformed health care by providing patients with easier access to care, reducing errors, and continuously innovating patient safety and quality that has been adopted by other organizations here and abroad. Join us, and find out how many ways Virginia Mason offers you the chance to focus on what really matters - our patients.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Current State of Washington Food Handlers Permit.
- Working knowledge of high-volume line cooking and safe food handling techniques.
- Demonstrated competency in basic food production methods such as: slicing, cutting, shredding, grilling, frying and basic baking of pre-packaged and frozen products.
- Ability to accurately read, interpret, and implement standardized recipes.
- Demonstrated competency in safely and accurately operating a variety of commercial and food service equipment including, but not limited to: knives, slicer, thermometers, measuring utensils, scales, toaster, food warmer, chopper, mixer, blender, steamer, oven, microwave, grill and fryer.
- Ability to manage several tasks and set priorities in high volume, fast-paced environment.
- Ability to read, write, speak, and comprehend the English language at an 8th grade level.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical computations using units of US currency, weight measurement, and volume.
- Ability to interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, recipes and procedure manuals.
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
Preferred: Two years experience in a food preparation capacity.
Just as Virginia Mason is dedicated to improving the lives of our patients and our community, we are equally dedicated to your professional and personal success. With a wide range of perks that includes comprehensive compensation and benefits, continuing education and support, and the opportunity to live in one of the most livable cities in the country, you will find that an opportunity with Team Medicine is one worth taking.
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.