Job Title: Cook
Position Summary: The Cook is the epicenter of the kitchen, working with focus and diligence to ensure a high quality culinary experience for our residents. They are responsible for cooking, preparing and plating meals for the residents of our communities. Additionally, this position is accountable for the sanitation of the food service areas, accurate record keeping of meals and supplies, and adhering to regulatory compliance and health standards. The cook will follow established culinary protocols and execute culinary menus created by the Culinary Service Director. They must scrutinize all foods prepared to ensure proper flavor, texture and consistency. This position reports to the Culinary Supervisor or Culinary Service Director and resides in the Culinary department. Our cooks are focused on preparing exceptional food that leaves a lasting impression and gets the residents excited about their next meal.
Our Culinary Department provides nourishing and delicious meals that are served in a warm and inviting environment. The department operates with the knowledge that meals and food activities are a crucial part of every residents’ day. Delivering a memorable dining experience for our residents is our top priority.
Main Job Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Cook, prepare, and plate meals for the residents of our communities. Follow recipes, portions, and presentation specifications as set by the Culinary Service Director.
- Ensure that the food service areas are sanitized daily. Clean and maintain station (or any other culinary area) while practicing exceptional safety techniques.
- Set up stations and collect all necessary supplies to prepare menu for daily services. Arrange sauces and supplementary garnishes for allocated station.
- Notify Culinary Service Director and/or Dining Room Supervisor in advance of likely shortages and access to minimize food waste.
- Review and be familiar with residents’ dining restrictions.
- Use food preparation tools in accordance with manufactures instructions.
- Assist with stocking deliveries and taking inventory.
- Make sure all storage areas are tidy and all products are stored appropriately.
- Consistently use safe and hygienic food handling practices. Return dirty food preparation utensils to the appropriate areas.
- Assist with all other duties as assigned by the Culinary Service Director.
At Waltonwood, we are all a part of a team who are here to serve the residents living in our communities. Our residents count on us every hour of every day. First and foremost, we expect our associates to have regular attendance; defined as being on time and present to all scheduled shifts, for the entire shift. Our associates need to value the importance of timeliness, punctuality, and dependability, and how the lack of these critical elements affects others in the workplace and the overall community operations. We expect all associates to be willing to lend a helping hand to co-workers, direct reports, and supervisors, whether it is one of their typical job responsibilities or not. This includes welcoming new associates and residents into the community, and making them feel at home. Associates need to keep the best interests of the residents and other associates in mind, and be an active participant in accomplishing team, community, and company goals.
- Strong Communication Skills –Clearly and accurately provides pertinent information to individuals in verbal and/or written form. Able to accurately convey information in a way that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.
- Work Ethic – Places value on hard work and achieving goals. Takes pride in work related activities, tasks and responsibilities. Acts professionally, respectfully, and is dedicated to work. Takes accountability and responsibility for their work and work related tasks.
- Time Management – Uses time effectively and efficiently, able to get more done in less time than others while not sacrificing quality. Has the ability to independently prioritize work activities.
- Customer Focused – Dedicated to meeting and exceeding the needs of the customer by establishing and maintaining effective relationships as well as gaining trust and respect of customers.
- At least 2 years of experience as a cook in the hospitality industry, fine dining preferred.
- Working knowledge of dining etiquette, food handling techniques, and general cooking practices.
- Knowledge of proper food service sanitation techniques.
- High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED) preferred.
- ServSafe Certification preferred.
- Constant use of manual dexterity, auditory and visual skills and gross motor skills with frequent use of bi-manual dexterity and fine motor skills.
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions and procedures.
- Ability to use the sense of smell and the sense of taste to recognize and distinguish odors and flavors.
- While performing the duties of the job, the associate is frequently exposed to heat/ cold
- Ability to reach, bend, twist, squat, kneel, push and pull.
- Ability to lift/carry up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to perform repetitive movements including simple grasping, pushing, pulling and fine manipulation.
- Occasional sitting with constant walking and standing.