The Cook prepares food in accordance with standard menus and specifications, facility procedures, and prescribed dietary and sanitary regulations; follow recipes; ensure proper storage of food and supplies; supervise serving of meals by wait staff; direct and assist in cleaning work areas, equipment and floors; ensure all residents have received meals; ensure fire and safety practices and procedures are followed.
- Prepares or directs preparation of food items on assigned/scheduled menus.
- Prepare and check all trays for accurate menu selections. Serve food in accordance with portion control, resident requests and ensure plate looks presentable.
- Direct and assist in cleaning work areas, equipment and floors. Adhere to Universal Precautions and sanitary, safety and infection control policies.
- Ensure food and supplies are available for upcoming meals.
- Assist the Director of Dining/Food Services in directing the activities of the Wait Staff
- Provide input regarding menu planning and recipes as requested.
- Assist in inventorying and storing incoming food and supplies
- Identifies and corrects any safety hazards in the food services area.
- Prepares special nourishments/supplements as instructed by dietary service manager.
- Logs/records temperatures of food as requested (refrigeration, freezers, milk dispensers, as appropriate)
- High school graduate
- Experience in quantity food preparation/production is preferred
- Management/supervisory experience preferred
- Experience in long-term care setting preferred
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills are needed