Springer Nature is one of the world’s leading global research, educational and professional publishers. It is home to an array of respected and trusted brands and imprints, with more than 170 years of combined history behind them, providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services. Every day, around the globe, our imprints, books, journals and resources reach millions of people, helping researchers and scientists to discover, students to learn and professionals to achieve their goals and ambitions. The company has almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries.
The Copy Editor is responsible for high-quality scientific copy editing and basic quality control of Nature Research Journals manuscripts in a timely fashion, maintaining the journals’ high standards of clarity and readability while helping to ensure on-time publication. The job entails copy editing for style and clarity, review and clean-up of proof corrections, quality control and coordination of production tasks where needed.
- Subedit material accepted or written for publication by Nature Research Journals as directed by the managing copy editor. Ensure text is in good English and conforms to house style. Ensure display items are correct and consistent with the text. Ensure that material is subbed within production deadlines.
- Correct proofs, artwork and pages during the production process, to ensure that the pages are finished to the appropriate standard for output.
- Edit text, figures and tables of primary research and secondary/tertiary articles in timely fashion for style, grammar, punctuation, spelling, genetic nomenclature, internal consistency and clarity.
- To ensure linking effectiveness and integrity of online articles, check supplementary information citations, URLs and database accession codes for accuracy, and check references for accuracy against PubMed using eXtyles.
- At least BA or MS degree and preferably laboratory experience in science (biology preferred)
- Excellent literary and word-processing skills, and experience copy editing a science-related magazine or journal.
- The ability to use InDesign and InCopy is desirable but not essential.
If you are an internal applicant please inform your line manager.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following “Equal Employment Opportunity Is The Law” poster:
Visit the Springer Nature Editorial and Publishing website at www.springernature.com/editorial-and-publishing-jobs for more information about our Research E&P career opportunities.