Come join the strongest team in the industry, driving newness through innovation and entrepreneurship! MGA Entertainment has been disrupting the toy industry for over 30 years, and under current leadership, Girls Brand Marketing has helped to drive multi year-on-year growth, where competitors continue to see heavy declines. Be part of the team that is making history every day!
MGA Entertainment Mission & Values: Our Mission is to entertain children around world and become part of their childhood and future generations. Our Values serve as a compass for our actions and describe how we behave in the world. For us, creative innovation is our way. We are passionate about everything we do. We are about solutions and “can do” is our belief system. When we say it, we do it – we are always accountable. We recognize the unlimited potential of employees and power of teamwork. Collaboration is crucial. We understand the consumer decides.
Opportunity: The Copywriter, Girl Brands role is to drive brand performance, grow brand equity and market share through creative storytelling and innovative brand communications. The right candidate will support the Girls portfolio to build brands that surprise and delight consumers, create engaging brand copy and storytelling that aligns with brand goals and marketing strategies. Responsible for developing and executing brand copy and storytelling from inception to point-of-sale. The role interacts with internal support centers of excellence (i.e., Marketing, Product development, Packaging) for brand copy management and agency partners (i.e., Entertainment content, Marketing Services, Licensing, Retail Marketing) to deliver against our revenue goals.
All Girls Marketing team members must possess a unique blend of business management, project management, creative thinking, detail-oriented, sense of urgency and flexibility. A collaborative nature, team first attitude with strong communication skills, good judgement and entrepreneurial nature are a must.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required, preferably in creative writing, communications, marketing or related field.
- 4+ years of copywriting or other relevant experience required.
- Kids and/or Family storytelling experience or related industry strongly preferred.
- Toy experience or fashion quick turn product leadership preferred.
- Knowledge of fashion, pop culture, social media, and beauty trends a plus.
- New product innovations and launch experience a plus.
- Entrepreneurial can-do attitude to find ways to break down growth barriers.
- Motivated by challenges and possesses a robust sense of curiosity.
- Strong writing skills for wide variety of audiences and voices a must.
- Executive presence required as brand voice representative to leadership and cross-functional partners, confidence and maturity.
- Ability to effectively communicate for brands both internally and externally.
- Experience with diagnosing and resolving complex problems and opportunities with communication. Strong creative problem-solving skills a must.
- Ability to synthesize information from multiple teams into cohesive, compelling brand messaging. Creative thinking a must.
- Ability to work independently (self-motivated) and complete projects within required timeframes.
- Must manage multiple priorities with entrepreneurial, fast-paced action. Able to make tough, informed decisions quickly to keep projects on track using good judgement and accountability.
- Expert knowledge and command of grammar, punctuation and style guidelines.
- This role reports to Global Vice President.
Key Result Areas and Activities:
- Brand Copywriting
- Develop copy and storytelling for all Girls Brands across multiple categories including fashion dolls, collectibles, nurturing dolls, plush and more.
- Work directly with product development on new brand concepts to create brand storytelling and unique brand POV.
- Generate and manage naming process, including character names, product names, brand names and more as needed. Interface directly with leadership for approvals in naming process.
- Manage legal clearance and approval for names, taglines and more as needed.
- Write personalities, favorite phrases and character bios for characters across Girls Brands.
- Create effective packaging copy that communicates key product features. Drive packaging copy process to ensure copy is error free and meets production deadlines.
- Assist consumer research team as needed on scripts and product copy for consumer research studies.
- Marketing Copywriting
- Own brand voice and communication to ensure consistent and effective product communication and 360º integration across all touchpoints.
- Work directly on parent-targeted copy for ecommerce, email communications and more.
- Oversee brand voice in developing entertainment content including product intro videos, narrative web series, tentpole content and more for YouTube, social media and other platforms.
- Assist brand managers in creating actionable, on-brand copy for sales initiatives and marketing activations including digital ad campaigns, events, retail experiences and more.
- Cross-Functional Team Leadership
- Be the central point of contact on all things brand communication for cross-functional partners: Product Development, Retail Marketing, Licensing, Entertainment, etc.
- Educate teams (Entertainment, Creative, Digital, Social etc.) on brand communication and storytelling that allow them to help create and execute programs that will drive consumer demand.
- Be a leader and a team player, solution oriented with forward momentum and a sense of urgency to pull cross-functional players together to deliver on time and on budget.
- Marketing Team Leadership
- Operate with best in class examples for Girls Marketing, building repeatable processes and continuous improvement.
- Support Director / VP team leadership, stepping up and managing up.
- Executive leadership to represent the team and leadership for brand communications, including direct interaction with founder and CEO.
- Other duties as assigned.