What we look for
Our exceptional and motivated employees are our greatest strength. Our employees provide the highest level of
customer service and help maintain our position as a leader in the global marketplace.
The Markel Style is what makes us stand out from our competitors. It's our core value which should underpin how we do business, while influencing our behavior and performance. We are looking for people who have potential and share our passion to live the Markel Style, which is described in more detail below.
If you think you have these core attributes we want to hear from you.
Job Summary:This position will be responsible for leading tasks and projects within the non-insurance accounting operations. This person will serve as back-up for the manager on general ledger ownership, consolidation, reporting within the Corporate Accounting and Reporting group. The position will work under general direction from their manager and director.
- Execute monthly, quarterly & annual closing tasks including but not limited to: timely and accurate journal entry postings/reviews with appropriate signoff and support to ensure integrity of accounting records; preparation, review, and analysis of 10K schedules, filings, and disclosures; and preparation/review of account reconciliations, as requested
- Participate in quarterly closing calls and inquire as necessary to pick-up on key components of significant drivers impacting relevant account balances during the period.
- Lead annual Proxy reporting effort
- Lead closing calendar for Corporate and Consolidated group, maintaining tasks within Oracle FCCS
- Assist in maintaining the non-insurance groups SOX documentation and remediation of control issues
- Lead point of contact for HR accounting matters (restricted stock, long-term incentives, medical accruals, stock loans, payroll changes/reconciliations/reporting, etc.)
- Serve as point of contact for other functional areas on general ledger structure, intercompany relationships, FCCS trouble-shooting, and problem solving on accounting for intercompany transactions.
- Participate in technical accounting issues including, but not limited to, goodwill impairment testing, intangible asset impairment review, purchase accounting for acquisitions, implementation of new accounting standards, and consolidation under ASC 810.
- Work closely with other functional areas (i.e. SEC and accounting policy, tax, investments, human resources, disbursements, treasury) and business management to resolve issues and support achievement of business goals.
- Collaborate with teammates to continually assess processes and initiate ideas with management to identify, design, and implement process improvements for greater efficiency, effectiveness, and consistency amongst insurance companies.
- Identify/prepare appropriate financial information needed to properly respond to ad hoc requests, seeking guidance from manager/director when needed to ensure quality customer service.
- Be accountable for understanding information provided, including the ability to explain content/impact.
- Participate in the internal and external audit process.
- Participate in other strategic accounting and business projects as they arise.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting required
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) licensing preferred.
- 3 - 5 years of accounting experience preferred
- Experience with Oracle Cloud suite of products (Fusion, FCCS, EPBCS), HFM, and associated add-ins (SmartView, OTBI) a plus
“Why work for us?”
Diversity and inclusion
Markel is truly a global and diverse company. We believe that diversity makes us better business partners and that embracing people’s differences can bring amazing results and fuel innovation. We have a portfolio of businesses and product lines that operate around the world.
Markel has a rich heritage of supporting communities across the world where our customers and employees live and work. Giving back is part of our history and our future. Our employees share in this philosophy through volunteering, mentoring and fundraising.
Commitment to open doors
Markel is committed to creating the best work environment. Our open-door policy is essential in recognizing business issues as they rise and to address the changing needs of our diverse and global workforce. Challenging management is a component of the Markel Style—some of our best ideas start from a conversation between a manager and an employee.
As the Markel Style states, we pursue excellence, strive for a better way, and share the success of others. Markel associates proactively seek new business opportunities, bringing further success to Markel.